I need help choosing a tuna reel!!!!!!

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
SanDimasLMB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

I need help choosing a tuna reel!!!!!!

Post by SanDimasLMB » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Hey guys, I've been deciding what reel to get for albacore, yellowtail, BFT, YFT, etc.

My choices so far are:

Daiwa Saltiga 30T
Newell P-332(new version)
Avet HX(Hoo-X)

I will be most likely be putting this reel on a Seeker Black Steel w/X-Rap(cork tape). I basically want to make it somewhat of a Deck Hand rod.

I plan to put 65lb. Izorline spectra backing with 30-40lb. mono topshot.

I'm leaning toward the Saltiga because of the machined reel clamp because I can rest assured that the reel won't go drop into the sea.

The Avet and Newell are side-by-side so far. Someone told me that the Newell would most likely be the reel that will be functioning flawlessly in 25 years that I can give my kids. This made me rethink about Newell's

I like the Avet HX 5/2 because its a 2 speed. 5.4:1 for Yo-Yo and 2.4:1 for power on the fish.

So can anyone give their opinions on which reel I should get? I've already read numerous reviews but this is a big purchase for me.
As I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no one for I am the baddest motherf**cker.

BayBassPro
Angler
Angler

Re: I need help choosing a tuna reel!!!!!!

Post by BayBassPro » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:23 pm

My stick mxj 2 speed 40lb izor top shot/80lb Daiwa samuri braid backing on 8.5ft super seeker 6485 ...Has close to 600 yards of backing

I sometimes use 332 with yo hybrid 30lb on same stick

30T would be a great reel too...

the HX I have not seen...It looks real narrow

plainsman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by plainsman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

For that line wt I"d go with an Avet JX

fish2light
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fish2light » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:49 am

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Have you checked out the "new" 2-speed Daiwa Saltiga Lever Drags? They have a 6.3:1 high, and a 3.1:1 low gear ratio, with a 28 - 40 lb. max drag for the 35 size. I think that they reasonably priced for the quality. Although I am currently using Accurates with Momoi Diamond Braid and either Blackwater Fluorocarbon or Momoi Hi-Catch topshot, I am seriously thinking about picking up one of the 2 speed Saltiga LDs for my next offshore reel.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 am

The Saltiga all the way. I haven't done much tuna fishing lately but the times I have, the Saltigas have really come through. With 50lb spectra, you'll have a ton of line capacity. I like fishing a short topshot. If I'm lazy I'll start with a 25 yard spool of fluorocarbon and fish it until it's down to 20 feet or so. The spectra and fluorocarbon combo lets that bait swim so much easier.

The thing has a lot of power and a comfortable grip on the handle so you can turn it. My Accurate 197 had great power too but my hand would slip right off of it when wet and, after a long fight, I'd have a sore palm. With the Saltiga, even though it's a single speed, you can just put the rod on the rail and crank the fish in. Pumping isn't even necessary.

lordhell
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lordhell » Wed May 18, 2011 9:09 pm

The Saltiga 30T is a great reel for fish 100lbs or less, but the Avet HX will be a better choice for larger fish than 100lbs.

mmasturgeon
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mmasturgeon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 pm

I like the Shimano Talica II Reel TAC8II or Accurate Boss Extreme 2-Speed Reel BX2-500N.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:49 am

I bring 20 to 40# rigs for bait and a 30# for for casting 1-2oz.plastics.
For 1-3 days trips the daiwa and newell are fine.
The hoo-x is be best for 5 days trips and longer
go gettum!
Mick
SanDimasLMB wrote:Hey guys, I've been deciding what reel to get for albacore, yellowtail, BFT, YFT, etc.

My choices so far are:

Daiwa Saltiga 30T
Newell P-332(new version)
Avet HX(Hoo-X)

I will be most likely be putting this reel on a Seeker Black Steel w/X-Rap(cork tape). I basically want to make it somewhat of a Deck Hand rod.

I plan to put 65lb. Izorline spectra backing with 30-40lb. mono topshot.

I'm leaning toward the Saltiga because of the machined reel clamp because I can rest assured that the reel won't go drop into the sea.

The Avet and Newell are side-by-side so far. Someone told me that the Newell would most likely be the reel that will be functioning flawlessly in 25 years that I can give my kids. This made me rethink about Newell's

I like the Avet HX 5/2 because its a 2 speed. 5.4:1 for Yo-Yo and 2.4:1 for power on the fish.

So can anyone give their opinions on which reel I should get? I've already read numerous reviews but this is a big purchase for me.

supersano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supersano » Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 am

30T is an awesome reel. I use mine for deep jigging. Not sure if it will be good for Long Range Trips, but they're great for tunas a little over 100 lbs. Larger tunas will wear out your drag and damage your anti-reverse dogs prematurely. Also, the avet reels have too much play in the handle if you intend on yo-yo with it. Just my 2 cents. -Thai

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Tue May 15, 2012 1:08 am

If you are looking for a reel that throws jigs then the Newell is the way to go, it's the best casting reel with it's graphite spool. The Avet and Daiwa probably have stronger drags. If you fish local and overnight trips the Newell is plenty strong enough for fish you are likely to encounter. If you you plan on fishing long range multi day trips you might want the stronger reels with beefier drags but they are going to be heavy and uncomfortable for light duty work.

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Tue May 15, 2012 4:27 am

I would give the nod to either the Tallica 2-speed or the Trinidad. Both are bomb proof and are easy to service with great parts availability which is such an important consideration for anything in the salt. Regrettably I would avoid the Newell (great history) but unfortunately the company is no longer and parts will soon dry up.

That said, I would ask this question to the guys and gals at BD or at Alan Tani's site.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com

http://www.alantani.com

TheDarkKnight
Angler
Angler

Post by TheDarkKnight » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:09 pm

The Barbie reel may be a little overmatched...... Go w/ a Snoopy or Star Wars kids reel w/ 65 lb Suffix 832.

lordhell
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lordhell » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Check out Okuma Makaira 10II for tuna fishing. I have a Mak 8II and 30II SE and love both so far.