Rod/reel for kayak fishing for east coast striper and blues

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
wandy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod/reel for kayak fishing for east coast striper and blues

Post by wandy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:41 pm

I just got a kayak and though I am familiar with fw fishing for lm/sm bass when it comes to the salt I am somewhat clueless...actually completely. I have searched and searched the forums far and wide and nothing definitive comes up.

I like to fish artificials only so no live bait for me. Can anyone suggest a spinning and casting setup and what a reasonable budget should be?

I'm figuring a 6 to 7 foot rod will work from med or med/hvy but I have never fished for blues or stripers but will now.

Cabelas has a sale on a quantum inshore xt reel for the salt and it is a great price but is it worth it or should I spend more?

Can I use my heavier freshwater equipment or will it get wrecked? I have airrus puls'r/scorpion mg and 1001, some kistlers, some bps, shipmano stradic 2500.

Thanks.

Shannon2713
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod/reel for kayak fishing for east coast striper and bl

Post by Shannon2713 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Thats stuff is two small.
If you are in a kayack the reels will get eaten by the salt but here is what I would recomend for the average/beginner saltwater fishermen.

PFuelger President in Appropirate Size
7 or eight foot ugly stick tiger inshore spining rods

wandy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:47 pm

Happy to spend a bit more as i think I will enjoy this or is the pflueger decent enough? What is a step or two up from this? What size reels should I be looking at? Is 30 or 40 size okay?

I will likely start with a spinning outfit and then get a casting. I tend to prefer fishing lightweight fishing for fw bass. Is there such a thing with stripers and blues?
Last edited by wandy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Florian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Florian » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:08 am

For a Baitcastingreel I would definitely consider a Shimano Curado 200 DHSV. The 7.0:1 gear ratio of the real is great for fast saltwater species and the reel is affordable.

Crank-B8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crank-B8 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:46 am

You have lots of good advice here. But I'd like to pass you on to a buddy of mine who is an expert over there.

http://www.heritagekayaks.com/coryrouth.htm

All of his contact information is towards the bottom of the page. He fishes out of kayaks regularly and has caught some HUGE stripers out of the yak.

He can tell you anything you need to know.

Check out this beast he caught off the coast of VA!