Post by deserthillssa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:52 am

I use the FG knot, it fast, strong and you can wind it on,
http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how- ... e-fg-knot/

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What Knot?

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 am

the FG is the best, very slim and goes through the guides and winds through level wind guides of reels if you require a long leader. have done some tests and the line breaks before the leader knot breaks. takes a little longer to tie but it is worth it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:34 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:the FG is the best, very slim and goes through the guides and winds through level wind guides of reels if you require a long leader. have done some tests and the line breaks before the leader knot breaks. takes a little longer to tie but it is worth it.
Does it work well for thin/lighter test fluoro for fresh water?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 am

An FG knot is, by far, the strongest line junction knot of the three and a bit tinier that Alberto/Albrights and uni junction knots.

There are certainly better ways to tie it than the "hold the line in your teeth and let the rod fall away for tension." And, what makes the FG especially strong is that it is a plaited knot, not the more standard wraps where they rely on friction to hold it.

A really good Albright/Alberto knot tests stronger than a uni junction knot but not by much. One of the issues with the uni to uni knot is one of the tie sides is fluoro over braid, the other side is braid over fluoro. Braid cuts into fluoro very well, but not the other way around. When you tie an Alberto/Albright sort of knot, you are wrapping the braid over the fluro so it bites in very well.

I'd do FGs the night before, sort of a bench knot done best at home; but, out on the water (I fish in a kayak), I can tie an exceptional Improved Albright Knot in about a minute.

Learn all three, tie the one that you do best, have the most confidence in.

I bet 90% of the junction knots used at the most recent Bass Master Classic were Alberto types and uni junction knots, very few FGs. And, I don't recall seeing a single leader line break off or hearing of anyone losing a fish to a bad knot.

Tie it well and you'll do great!

Brad

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:57 pm

uni to uni, haven't had a failure.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm

See the knot test results on the spreadsheet listed here http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... -progress/

PR knot is the strongest, followed by the FG. In practice, for everyday use, the FG probably wins out due to ease of tying. The Alberto is generally a lot weaker. The only true way to assess knots is to test them.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:17 pm

mark poulson wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:the FG is the best, very slim and goes through the guides and winds through level wind guides of reels if you require a long leader. have done some tests and the line breaks before the leader knot breaks. takes a little longer to tie but it is worth it.
Does it work well for thin/lighter test fluoro for fresh water?
Yes, I use it all the time, but need the Daichii Knot Assist 2.0 tool for light leaders. Takes about 2 mins to tie and gives a super tiny knot in 10 lb leader and 6 lb braid.

CyYak_Fishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CyYak_Fishing » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:03 pm

If I have time I try to use the FG knot. I'll tie my leaders the night before or prior to launching (when I fish from my kayak). If I'm on the water and need to retie quickly, I'll use a uni-to-uni knot.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 pm

FG and PR knot ahead of time.

FG PR Hollow core splice or loop to loop for pelagics

If tying on the water Alberto knot.

Finding that the PR knot is easier for me to tie in light line than the FG.

Heavier stuff aquaholik's fg knot method is unbeatable. I can get an improved alberto tied in about 30-40 seconds.
2 mins with Aqua's fg.

Problem with on the water fg's and pr's...you need to really wrench on the knot to seat it properly....Gloves or cincng tools are needed with heavier fluros or monos.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 pm

I started using Albright. It's been very reliable. Small profile strong knot. I mainly use it for 10lb braid to 8 lb fluoro.

nat2ten
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nat2ten » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:50 am

don't forget about the FG knot, a touch more difficult to tie but one of the strongest for braid to flouro connections.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 am

Seen so many FG knots fail that were tied by very competent fishermen, that it leaves me shaking my head [-( No doubt it’s the strongest knot out there when tied correctly, but even then, I have seen so many failures after using it for a period of time. Use what works for you, and don’t change just because something looks or sounds good. I’ve been using a 9 turn Albright for years and NEVER break off at the leader knot. No doubt in my mind that it’s a weaker knot than the FG, but if I can’t break it on a straight pull when snagged, I’m not worried about a fish ever breaking it. I’m generally tying 30lb 832 to 14-20lb Shooter for most all my inshore needs.

Impreza619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Impreza619 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:54 pm

FG if you have time to tie, UNI to UNI if you are fishing under 40lb short leader and no pass through line, alberto if you need a quick fast connection.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am

I'm a big fan of the FG, but recently switched to the modified Albright. I've had a couple/few FG knots fail and I know it was my fault, but darn. I always test the heck out of them prior to use. I guess it's a confidence thing now. I should try the Alberto as well..

Jevans1770
Angler
Angler

Post by Jevans1770 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Another vote for the FG. It takes some practice to get it right - but not a lot of practice. It's a pain the the butt to tie on 40lb and below mono/flouro so the albright might be better suited for that. But with heavy braid and heavy leader it has never failed me hauling GT off the reef. For Tuna I mostly use wind on's and will do a bimini to albright if I don't have a wind on. It doesn't come back through the guides well but if your soaking bait and not casting lures - its another knot that has never failed me.