Daiwa Saltist or Shimano Torium?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
grouper sandwich
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Saltist or Shimano Torium?

Post by grouper sandwich » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:28 pm

I've got a medium/light set-up with a Newell 235-5 that I want to replace the reel on. I use it mostly for snapper, some grouper and for tossing livies to crusing cobia and the lot. Looking at the Saltist (30 or 40) and Torium 20. What are the pros and cons of each? Anyone know a reason to choose one over the other?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Saltist or Shimano Torium?

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:16 pm

I,ve got this information from a fishing guide that I know. He has used both torium and saltisit reels and now only uses saltist reels because the torium,s drag system does not last. He uses the reels for bottom fishing for large Lutjanid species.

ahistick
Angler
Angler

Post by ahistick » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Saltist are easier to work on yourself; no hidden little springs when you disassemble it.

The felt drags washers can be degreased and regreased with Cal's greased for better drag performance. Another step up is to upgrade the washers with carbontex from SmoothDrag.

The one thing that people have brought up about the saltist is the hard feel of the handle knob and the finish does get chipped pretty easily.

Daiwa and Shimano service/support is pretty good these days.

Good luck.

grouper sandwich
Angler
Angler

Post by grouper sandwich » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:46 am

Thanks for the replies. I think that I'm going to go with the Saltist, but wait until the new 30H comes out in October/November because the size is a better fit for the rod it's going on. Also, our Lutjanid's tend to run on the small side, almost always under 25", in our little slice of the gulf of Mexico. We sometimes get into larger ones while digging for grouper in 100'+ but I'm typically better armed in those situations. Again, thanks for the replies and the help.

bladeduffer
Angler
Angler

Post by bladeduffer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:42 pm

>>> The one thing that people have brought up about the saltist is the hard feel of the handle knob and the finish does get chipped pretty easily. <<<

Don't know about the finish but you're right about the handle. Shimano's are much nicer. Last month I used a buddies Saltist 40 on a charter and it was a great reel to use. Pulled up a few albies between 25-30 lbs. with no problem. The real test was when I hooked up onto a bluefin. Man, the thing was really testing the drag but that Saltist did fine. Funny thing is that my friend aslo has a Torium and prefers it over the Saltist.

bd

ahistick
Angler
Angler

Post by ahistick » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:03 pm

bladeduffer wrote: Shimano's are much nicer. Last month I used a buddies Saltist 40 on a charter and it was a great reel to use. Pulled up a few albies between 25-30 lbs. with no problem. The real test was when I hooked up onto a bluefin. Man, the thing was really testing the drag but that Saltist did fine. Funny thing is that my friend aslo has a Torium and prefers it over the Saltist.

bd
Yup, that's why I have a trini handle on my saltist...feels much better when cranking down on fish. The trini handle is a direct fit and handle nut and handle nut plate is all that is needed to secure the handle.

bladeduffer
Angler
Angler

Post by bladeduffer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:25 pm

>>> Yup, that's why I have a trini handle on my saltist...feels much better when cranking down on fish. The trini handle is a direct fit and handle nut and handle nut plate is all that is needed to secure the handle. <<<

Wow. Nice job! Got a Calcutta Conquest 1001F(401 sized) that came with the Trini handle. Man, what a difference between this and the stock, double paddle on the CTE-401. Also, I noticed that the crank on my Saltiga 30L is dimensionally the same as the one on my Conquest but the material Shimano uses for the handle itself is so much nicer.

bd