G.Loomis Rod w/ Saltiga 15?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
AU88
Angler
Angler

G.Loomis Rod w/ Saltiga 15?

Post by AU88 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:25 am

Hi All -

I'm currently using a Saltiga 30 with the GLoomis Pro Blue. I picked up a Saltiga 15 for lighter duty saltwater and was wondering what GLoomis rod to pair it up with. I was thinking of the PR844C (popping) rod, but open to opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance...
Thanks,
Paul

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G.Loomis Rod w/ Saltiga 15?

Post by nfnband » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I'm not to familiar with the saltiga 15 but i hope this helps

To give you an idea a PR844 is basically a Medium freshwater bass rod with a lighter tip. great paired with Lowprofile or smaller round baitcasters.

I own the GLX spin version and its exactly how loomis describes .... light tip with powerful backbone. Its a little bouncy in the tip when you go to cast lures or bait at the top of its range, but man when you hook up it has the power. I've felt the power first hand and pushed the rod to the limit on a est.25lb King mackerel. It ended up snapping the rod.

It's much lighter than the lightest Problue ... If your looking for something that feels like a lighter Problue in 7 foot range I'd look into bass rods like the MBR843 or MBR844 in a GLX or IMX.

What are you fishing for? What technics
AU88 wrote:Hi All -

I'm currently using a Saltiga 30 with the GLoomis Pro Blue. I picked up a Saltiga 15 for lighter duty saltwater and was wondering what GLoomis rod to pair it up with. I was thinking of the PR844C (popping) rod, but open to opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

AU88
Angler
Angler

Post by AU88 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'd be fishing primarily for rockcod and lings. Last time I went out with my problue & saltiga 30 - it felt like such an overkill...

I have a G Loomis (ETR84-3MC-14) escape travel rod (3 piece) w/ a curado 200 dhsv - would that work?
Thanks,
Paul

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:00 am

Not to familiar with cod fishing but from what i know they like to stick bottom.

To compare the ETR84-3MC-14 is pretty much the same thing as a PR844 with a stiffer tip so you wouldn't be getting anything you don't already have. That curado has 12# of drag it has more than enought power. Line capacity would be your only concern when fishing deep.
I'd give that set up a try it seems close to what your looking for. If it turns out to be a touch light you can always pick up something a little heavier in the 10-20 or 12-20 class. You already have the 15 reel.

What ProBlue do you have?

You may just wan to toss the saltiga 15 on the PB to lighten the load.

AU88 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'd be fishing primarily for rockcod and lings. Last time I went out with my problue & saltiga 30 - it felt like such an overkill...

I have a G Loomis (ETR84-3MC-14) escape travel rod (3 piece) w/ a curado 200 dhsv - would that work?

AU88
Angler
Angler

Post by AU88 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:46 am

Thanks. I have the pro blue PBR844C. Its a solid rod - good feel. I'll try out your suggestion. That curado & the escape rod may pan out...
Thanks,
Paul