GULP Baits

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

GULP Baits

Post by Captain Chaos » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:15 am

Seem like folks like these baits for inshore and nearshore fishing. Read a few posts about 3" shrimp(white and glow) and jerkbaits. I even saw a fishing show using the shrimp on a jig for bass fishing. What baits do you guys like + for what application?? Goin to the beach and will probably try to find some reds inshore with my Luna. Love my Luna....

Snagmaster
Angler
Angler

Re: GULP Baits

Post by Snagmaster » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Did a 4 day redfish journey this past weekend, All quality red's were caught on a 3in shrimp in new penny on a jighead......They seemed to love it. Buddy swears by the glow jerkshad...gonna try that next trip...just dont spill the juice in bag on your cooler...boy does it stain fast.

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:57 am

I have been using the Gulps for the past year and I can say it is by far the best plastic bait I have ever used. We use them mainly for speckled trout and the best colors and sizes for us here have been 3" shrimp new penny, 3" glow, and 4" swimming mullet in white.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:16 pm

I catch many flounder,specks,red fish,black drum,croaker using GULP MINNOW GRUB 2"and 3",red and chartreuse.

Jean

notlucky
Angler
Angler

Post by notlucky » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:23 pm

I like all the Gulps have been using for some time

the assassin slurp/burp gas also been good
but dont foreget about norton sand eels

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:08 pm

notlucky wrote:I like all the Gulps have been using for some time

the assassin slurp/burp gas also been good
but dont foreget about norton sand eels
+1 On the Assassins and the gulps. Both are also incredible baits

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Used the 4 inch new penny shrimp under a popper and caught a keeper flounder on an inshore dock. Only got about 2 hours of inshore time, did some surf and headboat fishing too. Caught and ate plenty o fish on the NC coast......great beach week.

rokfish
Angler
Angler

Post by rokfish » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Gulps have made a big impact in Aussie fishing over the past two years. It's now reached the point where I've been fishing 4 times in the past week and the only thing I have on the end of my line is a gulp !
I don't like the shrimps so much as some shrimps in each packet are twisted or bent. Some of the most effective gulps I've used are this lot;
3 inch minnow - chartreuse or pumpkinsed
4 inch minnow - pearl silver
3 inch fry - watermelon
4 inch minnow worm - watermelon
2 inch minnow grub - watermelon or pumpkinseed
6 inch sandworm - camo ( we cut these in half to make 3 inch baits )
5 and 7 inch jerkshads for larger fish like our snapper

Now we are just waiting to get the new Gulp Alive. Some have arrived down under already, but I'm yet to get my hands on some.
Work is a waste of valuable fishing time.....

con_centex
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

work great here in the Gulf coast in Texas too

Post by con_centex » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:01 am

The last time I went out I thougth that there performance was a fluke. More recently I tried them and I have to agree that I can't tell much difference between them and live bait. This must be the equivalent of cocaine for fish.

I agree with you. Those shrimp ones don't seem to work any better than the plane white shad grubs and they are easier to get onto a hook so that they stay in place.

I've got some of the material that you can cut up but the last time the biting was so good that I forgot to try them.

tight lines.
Don

captpete
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by captpete » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:16 pm

rokfish wrote: I don't like the shrimps so much as some shrimps in each packet are twisted or bent.
Rokfish,

Berkley has come out with a new way of providing the Gulp! Shrimp. It's called Gup! Alive! and comes in a little bucket that's slam full of Gulp! juice. The shrimp are just kind of floating around in there. They're not squished like they are in the packs therefore they stay pretty straight and true to form. The bucket also makes it easy to dip other lures of any type into the Gulp! juice. They also have a Gulp! Alive! spray but don't have any saltwater flavors yet that I'm aware of. Check it out!

Tight Lines!

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 am

Figured Id chime in and basically agree with everyone else! Myself, and buddies, have been using Gulp for inshore fishing for several years now. We love the 3" shrimp (esp new penny) along with the jerk shads and swimming mullet in various brighter colors. I have had days when the bite was great and any other soft plastic could keep up with the Gulp, but Ive had many more days where the Gulp simply out performed any other artificial bait by far. We use them under popping corks, on jig heads without corks (fishing like a jerkbait), and often rig the jerk shads weedless like you would a fluke for bass. All applications work great depending on the situation for reds, trout, flounder, spanish mackerel and anything else that is around. They cost more than other plastic baits, but Ive found them to be durable enough to offset the cost since I can catch more fish per bait. Just dont let them dry out - they will practically permanently bond to a hook! Recently, it has become a confidence bait for me and I have a hard time using anything else.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm

5" jerk Shad in rootbeer or glow has been a proven performer for me fished on an 1/8 oz jig head for specks, Reds and flounder. Only downside for me is they will attract trash fish as well.