surfcasting setup

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
fonebone10
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: Pleasantville, Westchester County, NY (Know any good spots?)

surfcasting setup

Post by fonebone10 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:34 pm

would a 6ft rod be sufficient for light duty saltwater?
Hey, Dad, I got a bite!!!!!
...I Heart Taut Lines...

B Col
Angler
Angler

Re: surfcasting setup

Post by B Col » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:37 am

You can from the jetting when fishing for Rock fish, Sea Bass, etc but if you want to catch Surf perch and other type of fish you will need a rod that will aloow you to cast way out there. Myself for surf perch i just a 10' rod and 3 to 4 ounce triangle weight. It depends on how strong the surf are. 3 will allow you to cast really far, but if you have strong surf were your fishing it not going to last very long out there. If your fishing of the jetty, I still with and ounce or 2. It keeps from snagging on the rocks. You can go with casting or spinning rod. I'am using a 10' lamiglas custom surf rod and daiwa luna or one of my cheat shimano low profile casting real. Just make sure you soak wash your equipment with fresh water once your done...

rysher
Angler
Angler

Post by rysher » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:13 am

from the surf 10-13 ft rods.
7ft on a jetty or pier is fine.

Parker 25
Angler
Angler

Post by Parker 25 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:12 pm

10-13 may be a bit much depending on the situation. Here in NJ we can fish quite well with 7-8 feet since we're not clearing distant bars. In fact, some of the best fish are right in the wash. When throwing artificials, 10-13 will beat you to death, especially if you're walking the beach as you go.

That said, my primary rig is 10 feet when the stripers are cruising in the fall and spring. Summer months call for the 8 footer.