June 1st (sf bay)

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

June 1st (sf bay)

Post by seasicknes » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:37 pm

Sunday, June 1st fishing trip

The offshore forecast did not look good. Forecast calls for NW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. COMBINED SEAS 11 TO 15 FT AT 11
SECONDS. Not exactly a smooth ride, so I decided to fish the sf bay.

Forecast for the bay:
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON.

Got live bait at J&P and headed on over to Alameda rockwall. We met up with SEA WING (17 whaler) and gave him some bait. After the bait, we got another call from him stating that he now needs a net. So I gave him my spare net (always carry two nets).

We started our drift and it sunny and no wind. T-shirt weather. Only bad thing was a minus tide. The bite was consistent for us landing sharks, stripers, halibut.

Total hookups were: 4 sharks (all released), 2 stripers (kept), 5 halibut (4 where shakers and only kept one).

Ken (22 hydrasport wa / 17 whaler)

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: June 1st (sf bay)

Post by Zander » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:18 am

Hi Seasicknes,

Looks like some good action. Any size on those sharks? Did they put up a good fight? I actually used to fish for sharks in the bay a long time ago under the Dunbarton, one time I took home one of them and boy was that the toughest fish I have ever chewed on.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: June 1st (sf bay)

Post by seasicknes » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:09 am

Those sharks are ok in size. Not very large at all. I never target them. At least the action was constint during the time I was fishing.

The biggest shark I ever saw was at the farallon islands. The great white was at least 19' LONG and half as wide as my TRUCK. Circled the boat 3 times slowly checking me out. Then he swam off to find something else.
I won't bring my little whaler out there anymore. Wife was really impressed. She has never saw such a beast with such presence. Once in a life time experience.

The blue sharks I catch once in a while during salmon / tuna season can get to about 6 to 9 feet in length. Yes, they do bite and chomp at things. So never ever bring a shark in the boat. At times, when the tuna is biting like wild dogs, the blue sharks will actually chase them right up to the boat. My buddy had to beat one off while the tuna came into the boat. If you stop the boat and one of your crew members is fighting a tuna, you can look over the side of the boat and look straight down. Sometimes you will see about 5 sharks down there. Water is really nice blue. Very interesting.

Sharks tend to roll and get entangled in your line once they know that they are close to the boat. I hate this..... You loose your lure and some line. No choice, but to cut the line and let him go. Not worth getting your lure back.

Ken (22 hydrasport wa / 17 whaler)