Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
cosbyrec
Angler
Angler

Inshore/nearshore report NE Florida

Post by cosbyrec » Fri May 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Inshore/nearshore report for NE Florida

May has seemed more like March with all the strong winds and cooler temperatures. Some days we've had gusts above 40kts! I don't know what I would do with a calm day. The fishing has actually been pretty good when you can get out. The water temperatures are ranging into the mid 70's now.

We had a week or two when the cobia were the hot bite along the beach following the migrating rays, but the severe weather put a damper on that. There are reds at the jetty tips, in the ICW, and in the creeks. The best bait at the jetties has been threadfin herring which you can jig up with Sabiki rigs. I fish these with 3/8 0z. jigs. Of course, they will also hit artificials such as topwater and diving plugs, Gulp type baits, spinnerbaits, and spoons.

Quality speckled trout to 9lbs. have been taken recently on topwaters and freelined mullet.The flounder are still in the creeks and are getting larger. We are due a run of larger flounder when the big boys move inshore from the ocean reefs. The jetty rocks are where these migrating fish first show up. Ladyfish are everywhere and some are real bruisers.

Yesterday, I caught three black drum in the surf on three successive casts. Redfish and whiting are also in the surf. Fresh dead shrimp is the bait of choice.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the beach hugging pogie pods and thier attendant predators such as the big jacks, redfish, and tarpon!

Tight lines,

CAPT Bob Cosby

Captain Bob's Fishing Charters,Inc.
http://www.captainbobsfishingcharters.com
904-613-1639
Attachments
AndyGraham 005.JPG
AndyGraham 005.JPG (60.3 KiB) Viewed 2433 times