new surf combo: need some opinions

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
cluckmaster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

new surf combo: need some opinions

Post by cluckmaster » Thu May 03, 2007 7:24 am

Hey guys. I needed to pick up a new surf rod and reel (first one) and stopped w/ a buddy at the local tackle shop. Talked to the fellow there that gives surf fishing lessons and I said I wanted a decent setup but don't really want to break the bank. I was initially looking at a Tica but he suggested a 10' Beach Runner and then brought out three reels: a Penn CV6000 Captiva, another cheaper Penn, and a Pflueger (can't remember the model). Ended up getting the 10' Beach Runner w/ the Captiva. Anyone have any experience w/ this setup? Gonna be surf fishing on the Delaware coast for blues, rockfish, trout, etc, maybe take it down to NC and possibly down to TX some. Thanks. -Josh

throwinmetal
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: new surf combo: need some opinions

Post by throwinmetal » Thu May 03, 2007 8:40 am

bait or lures? plus alot of factors will narrow down your decision

cluckmaster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cluckmaster » Thu May 03, 2007 10:38 am

Bait I guess. I'm more of a lure fisherman (that's why I haven't gotten into surf fishing until now) but my buddy swears it's fun to throw bait out past the breakers and sit and wait so thought I'd try it. The Beach Runner rod is made by Salt Striker I think. Total combo was just under $150. It's a fast action, medium heavy, 3-8 0z, 15-40 lb test. I'll spend more on a rod I'll use to cast lures from a boat. I've been eyeing a Cabo for a while now.

throwinmetal
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by throwinmetal » Tue May 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Your gear is fine for starting out. After awhile you will figure out what baits you want to throw, the conditions of your spot, how well you can throw, etc. Then you can invest in better equipment, although the common idea for surf fishing is that salt and sand will ruin your gear - so go cheap spinning reel or carry a backup or find a good reel that doesn't rust or get ruined by the sand.

For bait fishing you just need a good rod to throw far, not bounce so much after throwing, and can throw the weight you want to use. For reel its about the conditions, line capacity to throw far plus have the fish run while it is out far, and strength to catch the fish you want to catch.