6 lb 7 oz Speckled Trout from my KAYAK!

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Sir Hacksalot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

6 lb 7 oz Speckled Trout from my KAYAK!

Post by Sir Hacksalot » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 pm

I can't believe I didn't get better pictures...but I managed to catch a 6 lb 7 oz. speckled trout yesterday, and DOUBLING the size of my biggest speck ever caught.

This badboy was caught using a Heddon Spit'n Image topwater bait that I modified with Red VHM hooks and a VHM red hook wtih tail feathers.

I thought I had a redfish...it just sort of slurped the lure under, and when I felt the line move, I leaned back into the hookset...that thing TOOK OFF like a red, and started pulling my kayak...when it finally surfaced and I saw that big yellow mouth...my heart went into my throat, and I swear I ididn't breathe until it was boated and put on the stringer...I was in SHOCK.

The funny part...two guys were fishing in the same spot throwing plastics and catching nothing...I was twitching that topwater and managed 3 trout before that one that were all 1-3 lbs that day...to give you an idea of how big that 6.5 lber was...I am 6'4" 280 lbs...and the 'smaller trout' were all 13-18" long.

That thing was a MULE baby.

Hax

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 6 lb 7 oz Speckled Trout from my KAYAK!

Post by Sledgehammer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Nice fish and on a topwater :shock: must have been a blast :P

I have yet to land a big trout out of the yak but it will come soon, I hope :|

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:29 am

Man that's a nice spec...GOOD JOB!!

Bryfmd

Sir Hacksalot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sir Hacksalot » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:16 am

Sledgehammer wrote:Nice fish and on a topwater :shock: must have been a blast :P

I have yet to land a big trout out of the yak but it will come soon, I hope :|
You know...that big speck had the 'least exciting' topwater strike I have ever seen...the lure just sort of disappeared, and when I set the hook, the fun started.

The smaller trout though are ridiculous...when you see a 1-3 lb trout come OUT of the water and do a flip...that's awesome.

Stay with it for the trout...I know that the larger ones will move in close to feed early in the AM because they're not subject to many other predators...also, they like to eat once or twice...so a LARGE topwater bait will often do the trick...had I been targeting HUGE trout, I'd have tied on a Super Spook in 'black shad'.

Hax

JPChavez23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JPChavez23 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 am

Congratulations on the nice speck. I'm still waiting to catch a big speck out of my kayak as well. A few weeks back my friend caught a nice speck and we thought he has a red the entire time until it surface. This speck went a little over 7lbs...