Baitcasting Reel Help

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
damfarm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Baitcasting Reel Help

Post by damfarm » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:07 am

Another newbie switching from spinning to baitcasting. I primarily fish saltwater from my kayak for stripers, bluefish and some bottom fishing (fluke, sea bass and scup). Am looking for a baitcasting reel rated for 12-14 lb test, good corrosion resistance, and a good drag. Trying to keep the $$ at around $100.00, since I also need some other tackle. I've read reviews on the Pflueger President WLP and the Quantum Accurist PTS (both saltwater versions and low profile). I'm up for either the low profile or the round version.

In the kayak, tackle gets bumped quite a bit so finishes that easily scratch, or parts that easily bend or tear off are definite minuses. That's one of the main reasons I'm switching to baitcasters.

All your help and comments are greatly appreciated.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Baitcasting Reel Help

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:32 pm

a good reel to look at is the daiwa saltist hrf. it is nice a smooth like a tda hst but has crbb all round and is treated for salt water use.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:44 pm

I would recomend a daiwa coastal or advantage. The president just isnt going to hold up in the salt and Ive never been a big fan of quantum.

manasota
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by manasota » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Used green Curado. ;)

Sir Hacksalot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sir Hacksalot » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:52 am

Best bang for the buck is a Shimano Citica 200D. I have two of them and have used and abused them. I just got them back from being serviced, and other than the boat rash, they feel like brand new again.

If you want to step up, the Shimano Curado is the 'gold standard' for inshore saltwater fishing in Louisiana. The new 300 size is drawing some rave reviews, and the ever popular 200 is a great reel. My wife has a Curado 100 deep spool that is a GREAT reel...I have it on a 7' Shimano Medium/Moderate Fast Crucial rod that is an outstanding topwater stick.

Other than that, I'd take a hard look at the Shimano Calcutta 250. They're hard to beat, tough, good drags, and plenty of line capacity should you hang something a little larger than normal.

Here's a nice red I caught last week on a 7' MF St. Croix Premier with a Calcutta 200XT, using 10lb diameter power pro and a 6' 20lb flourcarbon leader...lure was a Deadly Dudley Blue Moon 'minnow' on a 1/4 oz lead jighead tightlined on the bottom...and no, I didn't have gas pains...the fish was still a bit frisky, and I wanted to get the picture and get him released as quickly as possible.

Hax

robalo78
Angler
Angler

Post by robalo78 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:53 am

Green Curado by far the best for inshore. I have a new one I'm willing to part with for $110. PM me if interested.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:51 pm

I'm up in NYC and fish for mostly Strippers and Blues. I use/love my Curado 200DHSV! ! !

SkinyWater
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SkinyWater » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Damfarm

Thought i'd chime in since i was looking for a saltcaster a few years ago.

I decided on a quantum cabo pt 31. It holds a but load of 14. I put 20# fc on it and trolled (in my kayak)for stripers along the beach (obx) and casted 1oz ratl traps in the sounds for puppy drum and stripers.

I found it to be pretty easy to operate given my limited baitcaster exp. I have only owned an old shimano bantam and a bps proqualifier round reel.

I have had my bps pq for 7 years and could cast 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits as good and further(7' uglystick vs 6'6" bps crankin stick) with the cabo. its got a clicker so i could put it in my rear scoty and paddle and listen for the take.

its kinda a bastard child reel not low profile but not round....it would be a little heavy to pound shallow structure all day but holds a crap load of line for its size so could end up being a more usefull reel which is why i chose it and brand new was only 170 bucks. I thought about selling it to contribute to my presso/pixy fund but dont know how a lh saltwater reel would sell.

happy hunting

ps
theirs a smaller 20 size that might be the perfect option like i said these reels are a little more robust and can handle a wider range of saltwater game (bigger)
pps
almost forgot tackletour reviewed the cabo should find it in the archives

surfmonkey
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by surfmonkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Best bang for the buck is the Abu Garcia 5600C4. I use these and also have Shimanos that I use. I keep coming back to the Garcia--price is good, durability is good, drag system, and casting are excellent. Also, line capacity is good....

No matter what you get, wash it good after each trip, dry them off and then spray with Reel Magic and slightly wipe down before storage until the next trip...

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu May 10, 2007 9:18 am

Daiwa Inshore is a great reel....you be able to throw your baits a country mile. Protective finish and Stainless steel guts. If you fish salt and don't want to spend a lot of money..buy this reel.

Shimano Citica is a nice reel for $10 less...but not built for Saltwater. You can rinse pretty much any freshwater reel after fishing salt and have no problems..but why not buy one that's made for the type of fishing you're doing. You can still fish fresh water with the Inshore.

Cheers
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

RAT
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RAT » Thu May 10, 2007 2:02 pm

If you want low profile go with Shimano Chronarch BSV. It is made to use inshore/ Saltwater. Round baitcaster Calcutta 200GT. Match either with Loomis Greenwater rod and you will be very happy.

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:47 am

LOL seems like everyone in the post ignored your price range by adding on $100-$200

for the $99 price range and application go with an Abu Garcia.

Avoid the cheapo plastic freshwater baitcasters they won't have the balls if a big blue or bass hits ya.