Help In Catching Sea Barramundi and Mangrove jack

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Lutjanidae
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help In Catching Sea Barramundi and Mangrove jack

Post by Lutjanidae » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:56 am

I need some precious guidance to catch sea barramundi and mangrove jack on shore casting.

What should be the tide and time?
What should be the speed of retrieving lure?
What is the best color lure?
Is it true that when the water temperature is high surface lures do have better chance of getting strike by a fish?
When is barra breeding seaon?

Any other guidance is greatly appreciate

A million thanks

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Help In Catching Sea Barramundi and Mangrove jack

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:29 pm

Barra seem to react to a slow stop start retrieve. surface lures work best in low light Eg. early morning/late afternoon. The gold bomber is a good sub surface lure that has a nice wide action that is good for stop start jerking retrieves. the barra breeding season in the southern hemisphere is in the summertime and is usely around the time of the monsoonal rains. I haven`t chased jacks on lure but as they inhabit similar areas to barra they come as a welcome bycatch. fishing pilchard baits around snags is a good way of catching jacks. 8-)

Lutjanidae
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lutjanidae » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Thank For your kind Information

i really appreciate
hope i can get some nice size barra soon

bciya
Angler
Angler

Post by bciya » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi,

I've found the last 3 hours of the run out tide usually work best for barra and jacks.

Just after the barra season re-opens shore fishing from rocky headlands on the coast (preferably close to a river) should see you get some monsters, especially at night.

You can't go wrong with gold coloured lures for barra, and the classic "bleeding mullet" colour scheme. Gold bombers are great in shallow water and if you need a deeper diver (try to get your lures as deep as possible without getting snagged too often) try the RMG Scorpion (there's a nice bleeding mullet colour that has a chrome silver side... barra love lures with flash).

Good luck :D