Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Good Salmon Bite @ 45/10 on 5/11/03

Post by seasicknes » Sun May 11, 2003 9:27 pm

Fishing Report (sunday) 5/11/03

The sea forecast calls for : SUN
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
SW SWELL 4 TO 6 FT AT 16 SECONDS.

We had 3 boats running to the salmon grounds. Sounds like there are two locations to where the fish are. The shortest distance sounded like they have smaller fish by the reports, while the longest distance sounded like they had larger fish.

Michael (Carole Sea), Wally (Pe Ke') , and myself (Fishy) did a 3 way voice conference in order to find out what we wanted to do. Michael and Wally wanted the larger fish, so I said OK. We meet under the golden gate bridge at approx 5:45 am to 6:00 a.m.

We all decided to fish in the area of 45/10. This is west of the North Island and also south of Fanny Shoal. This was approximately 32 miles from the golden gate bridge.

Carole Sea and me headed out first, while Pe Ke' went and go get the live bait. We headed on out and we stopped short of the numbers by about a mile or two.

Seemed like everyone did pretty well at the spot. Deapth of the fish were deeper than last reports on saturday. This time there down at 75 to 55 feet down.

Fishy limited by 11:00 a.m. One fish weighed in at 30 pounds, Another fished weighed in at 28 pounds and the other 2 were about 12 to 15 pounds.

We all finished up and we all ran back to the golden gate. Pe Ke' gave us and Carole Sea some live bait. We all proceeded to Richmond to see what the fishing was like.

I put that little anchovie down and within 10 mintues I had a halibut on, but he was too short. Missed the minimum size requirement by 1 inch. Then we made a redrift and caught a striper. Things got slow, so all of us moved over to paradise. Wind was up and we made one pass and that was it for me. Ran back to the dock to wash the boat and clean my fish.

Weather: Overcast to sunny

Seas: Swell 6 feet, wind waves (2 to 4 feet) made it a tough go.

Score: 2 limits of salmon (1-30 pounds, 1- 28 pounds, 1-15 pounds, 1- 12 pounds and 1-12 pound striper. 1-halibut to short.

Ken (22 hydrasport / 17 whaler)
Last edited by seasicknes on Tue May 13, 2003 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Good Bite @ 45/10 on 5/11/03

Post by Aerotus » Mon May 12, 2003 10:24 am

Look at those fish. Two of them are so fat!
good job seasicknes!

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Good Bite @ 45/10 on 5/11/03

Post by seasicknes » Mon May 12, 2003 1:31 pm

thanks Aerotus

Ken

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good Salmon Bite @ 45/10 on 5/11/03

Post by Zander » Tue May 13, 2003 10:06 am

Fantastic fish Seasicknes!

I'm curious, for your fishing do you mostly troll or mooch for Salmon, and for your mooching can you share your favorite rod and reel combo...your go to rig.

Thanks

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Good Salmon Bite @ 45/10 on 5/11/03

Post by seasicknes » Tue May 13, 2003 10:35 am

Ever since they changed the hook laws to circle hooks, I now switched over to trolling.

When I first started out trolling, I was using a much lighter outfit (ugly stick lite and a abu garcia 5500) on a downrigger and noticed I would loose alot of fish. I remember one fish almost spooled me and I had to chase it down with the boat. Had lost a real nice 40 pounder right at the boat. Since then I changed my setup with a more heftier outfit.

The setup I use now is ugly stick tiger with a penn 320 gti on a downrigger.
I found this setup as must durable and long lasting.
They take a beating and very little maintenace.
Just rinse off with fresh water and your good to go on the next trip.
Once a year during the winter months, I break down the penn 320 gti and grease it up. At that time, I may or may not replace drag washers (depending on condition). Parts on the penns are cheap.

When I used to mooch, I would use an abu garcia 5500 reel with a long mooching rod. I used berkley IM7. But these rods you had to be careful because they do break.

Ken