Battle damage

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Battle damage

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:20 am

It's been knocked out of action. Spool bearings are shot and the rod has some smashed guides from a recent kayak flip at the boat ramp. The kayak and I capsized in 6 inches of water with the kayak nose beached on the ramp. The Hyuga got between the kayak and the ramp. Debating on fixing it or retiring it. Anyone make wall hangars out of old favorite combos or do you fish them to the bitter end?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Battle damage

Post by mark poulson » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:38 pm

If the guides can be straightened out, or replaced if needed, I'd keep fishing it from the kayak. Flipping a kayak seems to be an expected hazard.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:46 am

Totally worth fixing. Have the guides re-wrapped by a rod builder and get back to it. The EVA nick is a badge of honor they all eventually get :)
Philippians 4:6

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:33 am

As long as there is not damage to the blank, it is an easy fix. There is a guy iny club that would match the thread wraps for $20ish per guide.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:26 pm

If you're around the CA Delta, you can get them replaced for $10 ea. Check with The Basshole, or the Hook, Line, and Sinker, about Average Joe Rod Repairs. Both are in Oakley, near Franks Tract.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:53 pm

I sent in a rod that meant a lot to me to a rod builder and got it back to me relatively quickly
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:16 pm

Test load the blank thoroughly first...if it passes, those guides need to be stripped off and replaced by a capable rod builder.

For me, it's worth the repair, especially if the rod is one I use often.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."