What Have I Done???!!! New Shimano Casting Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

What Have I Done???!!! New Shimano Casting Reels

Post by Ghost » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:15 pm

L to R: SLX XT 151HG, Curado MGL 151HG, Curado K 301HG

Local tackle store takes in trades. I got enough credit to get 3 new Shimano casting reels.

I have the Curado 301E, very good reel but I like how's the current Curado 301 feels. Feels as tall as the 301E but not quite as wide. The Curado MGL 151, I like how much lighter it feels compared to the Curado K 201HG and easier to palm. The SLX XT is smooth, casts far and the braking system works great. I had 40lb braid at first, did not like how it handled. So I switched out to 30lb braid and casts so much better.

I'll be spooling the Curados during the week and enjoying the rest of this summer fishing with new top notch casting reels.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1658706687089.jpg
FB_IMG_1658706687089.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
FB_IMG_1658706683022.jpg
FB_IMG_1658706683022.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
FB_IMG_1658706679315.jpg
FB_IMG_1658706679315.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 1529 times

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What Have I Done???!!! New Shimano Casting Reels

Post by Preston » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 am

Nice! Solid reels for the price. The Curado 150MGL is on my short list to pick up. The problem is the price of the JDM zillion 1000 is so good right now. Also considering the new Bantam. Those are the 3 I'm torn between.

I was a huge fan of the SLX line. I have 2 150 XT's and one 70 MGL. They were great for 2 years. Like I couldn't believe how smooth they were and how well they casted for the price. This year all 3 went geary under load. You can feel and hear the audible buzz. I've replaced full gear sets and bearings everywhere. No change. Gears have been cleaned and greased, no change. I don't get it. Have you experienced this? My Curado 70 MGL has remained smooth! I'm wondering if Xship is playing a factor. Could something be worn on the SLX's that is causing gear mesh issues even with new gear sets?

Anyway, sorry for the slight thread jack. Enjoy the new reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:02 am

PursuitFishing wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 am
Nice! Solid reels for the price. The Curado 150MGL is on my short list to pick up. The problem is the price of the JDM zillion 1000 is so good right now. Also considering the new Bantam. Those are the 3 I'm torn between.

I was a huge fan of the SLX line. I have 2 150 XT's and one 70 MGL. They were great for 2 years. Like I couldn't believe how smooth they were and how well they casted for the price. This year all 3 went geary under load. You can feel and hear the audible buzz. I've replaced full gear sets and bearings everywhere. No change. Gears have been cleaned and greased, no change. I don't get it. Have you experienced this? My Curado 70 MGL has remained smooth! I'm wondering if Xship is playing a factor. Could something be worn on the SLX's that is causing gear mesh issues even with new gear sets?

It's likely a worn pinion bearing that caused the gears to wear, and also could make the new gears mesh weird.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:44 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:02 am
PursuitFishing wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 am

It's likely a worn pinion bearing that caused the gears to wear, and also could make the new gears mesh weird.
Thanks. I thought I replaced that at the same time as the gears, but maybe I did the gears first and bearing later. Likely a mistake. Live and learn. Knowledge can be expensive. ](*,)