An Avid blank for my TwinPower 2500...

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

An Avid blank for my TwinPower 2500...

Post by Mizmo » Sat May 27, 2006 8:42 am

Here a couple of pics of an Avid blank I put together for my newly acquired Twin Power 2500 that I got from good old BB. I liked how the Avid matched the color scheme of the spinning reel. Anyway...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/ ... r_Avid.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/ ... _Avid1.jpg

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: An Avid blank for my TwinPower 2500...

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Sat May 27, 2006 9:20 am

thats an awesome looking rod there and the reel is not to shabby either :lol:
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

catch'em-all
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by catch'em-all » Sat May 27, 2006 7:29 pm

Looks very nice. well done.

Have you ever tried building a rod with the threads of the reel seat forward? That way, you can trim some excess threads off and allow your finger to touch the blank, and there are no threads under the heel of your hand. I prefer it like this. Just something to consider.

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Sun May 28, 2006 5:24 pm

Yeah, I have given that a thought… I make my casting rods that way – i.e. cut the threads at the nut. I have some of the Fuji reel seats (DNPSM – 16BC) that would be perfect in that application, however, the ends are really small and would have to almost sand the cork so it barely covers the blank. I believe that the Kistler spinning rods use something similar to that reel seat.

One question though; on the “normalâ€Â
Last edited by Mizmo on Sun May 28, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Sun May 28, 2006 5:30 pm

O' by the way, between you and Mattman... it is obvious that I could learn a lot by the sweet rods you guys make. I really enjoy seeing your stuff on here and appreciate any advise you may provide.

Thanks,

Sean aka MizMO
La Crosse, WI

catch'em-all
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by catch'em-all » Sun May 28, 2006 6:31 pm

Mizmo wrote:I suppose that a guy can reverse the reel seat and cut the threads down to size and shape the small fore-grip and I would also assume that the nut would be able to slip over the fore-grip too so mounting a reel would be easy enough, Hmmm… I like the concept. Thanks.
Exactly. It sounds like you know what I mean. To balance it, just adjust your rear grip length accordingly, or do a split rear grip. You could also use a shorter rear grip and add some weight inside the butt to compensate.

paulh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulh » Sun May 28, 2006 7:40 pm

thats a beauty spinning rod! what action is it?

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

PH,

It is a 6'6" Med/fast SCIII blank... just what I like for toss'n them toobs :D

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Mon May 29, 2006 5:04 pm

Yeah Catch... I guess a split grip would be an answer to the balancing issue, eh. I've never done a split grip project yet but after doing some internet research it does not seem too difficult, eh.

Peace.

catch'em-all
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by catch'em-all » Wed May 31, 2006 10:02 am

Mizmo wrote:Yeah Catch... I guess a split grip would be an answer to the balancing issue, eh. I've never done a split grip project yet but after doing some internet research it does not seem too difficult, eh.

Peace.
I find that building split grips is easier than full grips. You are working with smaller pieces which I find easier, and it allows you lots of flexibility in butt length and balance.

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:26 pm

Hey Catch or Mattman,

I just picked up a SCV blank and plan on putting SiC (gunsmoke color) guides on it. I was wondering if you guys can direct me in the area for an exposed reel seat (fuji I think makes reel seats that are colored/painted) that is similar to the pearl brown color blank that the SCV is – and/or suggest a reel seat that would match this type of blank. I contacted St. Croix and they told me that their Legend Elite (SCV) reel seats are not for retail, so any advice to match that color reel seat would be grateful, if it is out there.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm

How'd I miss this topic over the last couple of weeks!??! :oops:

Mizmo -

#1 - Thanks!

#2...

Merrick has some painted seats. You need a business license and the ability to buy wholesale, I think, to deal with them though. They've got a seat that I think would go well with the LE. Check your PM's.

Outside of that, I'm not aware of a commercially available one.

My standard seat for the gunsmoke guides is the gunsmoke seat from Fuji.

I know you could make your own, but would it be worth the time, effort and initial cost of materials? Sure, if you're going to make 300 reel seats. Not so much if you need one. In my opinion.

I'm a big non-fan of threads facing forward on a spinning reel seat. Make sure you fish with one before you make a big commitment there. HUGE pet peeve with factory rods and one of the reasons I wouldn't even consider a rod of that construction.

Balance...this is one of the best things about custom. I, personally, don't give a crap about balance!! It's highly over rated for my fishing. Granted, I push the reel as far forward without the handle becoming too long for my tastes to achieve good balance. But that's where I stop. I'll take a heavy power Bass rod that's rated to over 1 ounce lures that weighs under 3.5 ounces any day over one that weighs 6 ounces and sits perfectly level in your hand. In no way will I add weight to a rod just to get it to sit in my hand a certain way. Been there...done that...bought the T-shirt...blew chunks afterwards... But, if balance is your thing, play with handle length, lead in the butt, 2 rings of rubberized cork instead of one, reel size, guide weights, and all the other variables to hit your target. Lots of options there.

Totally agree with Catch'em-all...split grips are easy. Not only are you saving a ton of money on very expensive un-needed cork, its easier to shape, ream and install small sections of it rather than 7", 9" or 12" lengths. And spread those grips out or close them up for balance. You don't need to make a decision until the epoxy is mixed. A 7" full grip is a 7" grip. A split grip can be a 4" grip or a 6" grip or a 7" grip or a... You get the picture... Up here in the north country you wouldn't believe some of the Muskie rod handles I do! $60 in cork alone!! "Cause they gotta have 16" of cork.

--------------------

Matt Davis

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

catch'em-all
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by catch'em-all » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:22 pm

Good info from Mattman. He and I obviously have some different ideas for how to build a rod, and thats fine. Thats why custom rods are custom rods. I personally can't stand to have the nut and threads under the heel of my palm, I find this painfully uncomforatble... just goes to show everyone has their preferences.

One note... Merrick tackle distributes coloured reelseats, but they do have retailers that will sell them to you. Check the site or call. It used to be Summer Moon that retailed them for Merrick. Also note that Merrick puts their own sticker on the seat where it usually says Fuji. This was unknown to me until I ordered Cal's seat. Neither Cal or I was thrilled about this. I considered peeling the sticker off but was afraid it would lift the painted finish.

Also, since St. Croix uses brown reelseats that match the finish of their SCV blanks, why not do something different if you are building it custom? There are so many options available for reelseats, especially the coloured ones, make it unique.

Lastly, be careful working with the SCV blanks. The finish is beautiful, but not as tolerant of harsh thinners and solvents when you need to do clean up of adhesives etc. Denatured alcohol is pretty mild, but do a test first on an area that will be covered by a grip. If I remember correctly, acetone will dull the finish.