Sol

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Sol

Post by ChuckE » Tue May 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Boone,
You can make a tool for removing the pin, so you don't damage the spool tip or the pin itself. Go to Sears and get a flat nose pair of pliers, and drill a 5/64" hole in one of the tips, about 1/8" away form the side, about 1/2" from the tip. Just line up the pin in the hole and carefully squeeze the pliers to push the pin flush with the other tip, then pull out the pin. Sometimes the pin will still be a little tough to get the rest of the way out, so I use a nail that i ground round and flat on the end, the same diameter as the pin (1/16"), and just push it out with the nail. Works good.

I can post a picture if you'd like, I also use the same pliers to remove the pin from some of my shimano spinning reels. I put another hole in the center of one of the tips for them.

I think the pliers I got were $9.98 or something like that, they are small and match a whole bunch of other "smaller" pliers that they carry.

Just don't scratch the tip where the pinion puts tension on the spool. It will prematurely wear the pinion.

DR,
Nice job on the Sol.

Everyone else,
The last time I looked, a set of 2 all ceramic Abec 7 bearings (ceramic races, retainer and balls) for the Daiwas ran $198 (each one was $99 or so). Full ceramic bearings do sound a little different without lube, but are fairly quite with lube. They really make a difference in casting, but some of the older plain Magforce braking systems can't handle them. The spool tension setting has to be tightened up quite a bit, to keep the magnetic brake within range on the older Magforce reels. In general, Magforce V and Z work a whole lot better. Like DR, I had the chance to try some Abec 9 all ceramic bearings---WOW! but I had to return them! :cry:

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu May 25, 2006 3:55 pm

I don´t like orange or yellow reels but I have to admit it looks very nice indeed, specially those orange touches to the handle, the question is: where did you get the paint from ?

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Thu May 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Raul,

The paint is Ceramic paint yoy can get at any hobby store. It has a clear coat of gloss cermaic paint sealer. All the stuff my wife has in her hobby room.

My wife did the painting, highlighting and sealing. I just sat hear bald and beautiful. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Shimano Chronarch B I did some tinkering with and she did some highlightoing over a year ago and it still looks good.

D.R.

God Bless
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle