custom rod designed for my Presso

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: custom rod designed for my Presso

Post by D.R. » Sat May 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Chuck & Marc,

Luckey is my 3 legged one eyed high speed fast attack mutt. =)))) =)))) =))))

No one wants him but me. I will catch someone mad at their equipment and trade this worthless figmant of my immagination to them.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun May 07, 2006 5:21 am

Chuck - Wow! Longest/best review I've ever gotten!! Thanks! And I'm really glad you're enjoying the rod.

mhood - Regarding the spine... I placed the relaxed curve to the top to allow for a little easier flex when casting. Which should load the rod a bit more and allow for better casting with light lures. Truthfully, I'm not so sure that top or bottom would make much of a difference. Meaning, that if I were to build two identical rods, one with the relaxed curve up and one with it down, that a person could tell the difference between the two.

zmazefsky - Yes I can do foam and cork foam combinations. I happen to be working on just such a handle (cork/foam) right now.

Regarding a factory rod with a spiral wrap... I guess there have been a few companies to do that. Most noticeably Loomis. That was quite some time ago. Sales were poor at best and they went to a guides on top configuration and sales improved dramatically. The consumer just isn't that accepting of the spiral wrap. A lot of education is needed. And even then with some solid pros for the spiral wrap and really no cons, many still aren't willing to go with it.

--------------------

Matt Davis

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 am

It's very detailed, I don't know if I'd be able to fish with that rod. It would be locked in cabinet somewhere with 3 security alarms.

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Tue May 09, 2006 2:53 am

Matt,

This Thread is making me want to order the UL caster you and I have been talking about. I think my budget may allow it next year.

ChuckE...Congrats on the rod, I am drooling :drool: . Yesterday, I landed a Bass that measured a tad over 24 inches on the PSJ661. Wow! what a fight! I didn't have scale but I doubt it weighed that much. It was thin. Post spawn I guess.

Mike

George Roth
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by George Roth » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:03 am

Matt did a very nice job on your rod! I have used a number of Shikari blanks and I really like them. A couple of my favorites are the SHX PMB 703 and 704. They are light weight and sensitive.

As for using the spine in this application, I can only describe how I use it. I find the "relaxed spine", which is the natural position the blank comes to when flexed. When building spinning rods, the guides are placed on the inside curve of the blank. The spiral wrapped guides will start on the outside of the curve and rotate to the inside. When you flex your rod, it will flex in the most "natural" way for the blank and the guide placement helps the angler make use of that tendency. ie. less tendency for the blank to roll when placed under a load.

Hope that helps.........George