New knife

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New knife

Post by uljersey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 am

Been wanting a nice EDC (every day carry) knife for a while. I carry a full size folding knife for work which serves it's purpose well, but have no need to carry something that big after hours, plus I don't like heavy/bulky items in my pockets if I can avoid it.

I stumbled across this while researching my options and immediately fell in love with it. It's a Boker Titan Subcom (subcompact) It's got a titanium frame and a razor sharp VG-10 blade which is one of the finest Japanese grades for knife steel. It's 2 11/16" closed, the blade is 1 7/8" and it's 1/4" thick. It weighs 2.2 oz, you aren't aware that it's even in your pocket. It even fits into that little pocket on your jeans that you never use. There's a very sturdy clip that can be used as a money clip or a pocket clip. I added the lanyard, it adds a little more grip surface and a loop that you can insert your index finger into to pull it out of your pocket.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: New knife

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:37 am

Cool little blade and Boker makes great products. I have a Kershaw similar in size that I carry in my watch pocket, also, in addition to a small Buck 3-blade Stockman I've had forever.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Glad you found a knife that works for you. Knives, like reels, are so subjective and the choices are so numerous that it can be hard find one you love and hard to stop buying different models once you get in to the hobby.

One point of note. VG-10 is an excellent steel for kitchen knives, but it is pretty low end for pocket knives as it chips and dulls too easily in harder use tasks. For a small thin knife like this it is still a good choice, but I don't recommend it for a 3.5" folder unless your budget is low. It is certainly superior to 8Cr13MoV though. It is similar to 14C28N from Sandvik.

Look for D2 and S30V in budget blades. S35VN, M4, M390, 20CV, XHP, etc are the true high end pocket knife steels.

DaveJ

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:46 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Glad you found a knife that works for you. Knives, like reels, are so subjective and the choices are so numerous that it can be hard find one you love and hard to stop buying different models once you get in to the hobby.

One point of note. VG-10 is an excellent steel for kitchen knives, but it is pretty low end for pocket knives as it chips and dulls too easily in harder use tasks. For a small thin knife like this it is still a good choice, but I don't recommend it for a 3.5" folder unless your budget is low. It is certainly superior to 8Cr13MoV though. It is similar to 14C28N from Sandvik.

Look for D2 and S30V in budget blades. S35VN, M4, M390, 20CV, XHP, etc are the true high end pocket knife steels.

DaveJ
Good to know. My working hours knife is a cheap folder that gets it's fair share of abuse. The Boker will likely never see much more than boxes, string and maybe some hard salami & cheese while out on the water fishing.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:12 pm

DaveJ lives very close to an excellent knife shop. I usually stop in to Grand Prairie Knives whenever I am in that area. Buying knives can be as bad as buying fishing equipment. Like fishing equipment the only thing that matters is if you like it.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Very cool, I usually carry a Spyderco the most.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Any recommendations on a carry blade for me ???
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:20 pm

goldrod wrote:Any recommendations on a carry blade for me ???
I'm not a knife aficionado by any means but I do carry a folding knife daily out of a habit that I picked up from my summer job the past few years. I've only ever used Kershaw but there are definitely a bunch of better knives out there. I carried the Lifter for a few months but the blade had a funky shape and then upgraded to the Brawler. The Brawler is the perfect size knife for me and it worked great but I abused the snot out of it and retired it. I currently carry the Link with a serrated blade, which is a little expensive at MSRP in my opinion but can be found for way cheaper online.

Or you could get a Benchmade and put everything I own to shame

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 am

A few of my knives :big grin:

BHK Bushcraft

ESEE 6HM

ESEE Cadiru I got from from Jeff Randall

Spyderco Delica Custom

Spyderco Manix & Paramilitary 2

Chris Reeves Sebenza 21 Insingo

Chris Reeves Umnumzaan

Hinderer

Spyderco Southard custom

Strider

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Very nice collection =D>

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 am

I concur very nice collection
I have been reading about each brand and looking for some of them. I like the BHK, but I am still looking through each model and manufacture.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Those buschcraft knife are sweet looking, simple and clean.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 pm

timinmo wrote:DaveJ lives very close to an excellent knife shop. I usually stop in to Grand Prairie Knives whenever I am in that area. Buying knives can be as bad as buying fishing equipment. Like fishing equipment the only thing that matters is if you like it.
Yep, GP Knives is great.

I have a Spyderco Sage Linerlock, Massdrop Gent, and a Chinese Spyderco Slyz Bowie in D2 (original knife was discontinued and unavailable) that I carry the most and recommend. Once the Spyderco Smock is finally released I will likely get one from GP. I have a Dogtooth on preorder from Massdrop that excited to get this spring as well.

DaveJ

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Here is my new knife that I just bought. Got it from Sheels because I had a $75.00 gift card and it came with a $25.00 gift card.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:55 pm