New combo- carbon head Hien

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

New combo- carbon head Hien

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:12 pm

A large tube and a small box showed up this week. :big grin: They go perfectly together. Balance point is right on the carbon ring on the foregrip.

I intend to rig this for finesse tx rigged plastics. Anyone using the Hien for that? Line weight? Was thinking #10 Sniper...maybe #8?

Thanks for looking!

Toku

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New combo- carbon head Hien

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 pm

It's a BEAUTY! Been looking at the Hein for a while. Let us know how you like it.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:55 pm

6'10 XF should be dope. Split the difference with 9lb shooter

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Sweet looking rod!
Happiness is a sore thumb

VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Post by VAsmallies » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:11 am

As someone who loves to cook as well as fish, I'm almost more impressed with the oven range in the background! :big grin:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:26 am

That Alphas looks so much better with the Zaion drag star... Wish I had ordered a couple before they stopped selling them. Think the SV103 star selling now works too right? Is that a 90mm handle?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:33 pm

I used the Hien quite a bit for a variety of techs. Was part of my favorite DS rig. Loved that "foil" feel in my hands. That tip though :big grin: Alas she was sent off to upgrade. Excellent treble hook rod as it is sensitive, shallow wobble, medium tight wobble, shadz, medium depth period, top notch TW IMHO. For me though drop shot was where it was at :big grin:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:39 pm

That's a sweet standard size topwater/jerbait combo. I had my SV105 on a custom rod with the exact same specs, and it was awesome for Vision 110's and 3/8 oz. topwater.
I originally bought the reel for smaller hard baits (1/4) like the Zara Puppy and Pop-R's. The inductor spring in that spool was too soft. The R+ spring from the Tackle Trap was a great improvement for the Point Blank 6'9" mlxf that I had built for it. I'm throwing the small topwater around trees. The low stretch 11lb. Shooter Armilo is what I like to move a fish quickly. I'm having trouble putting it down! :D

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:41 pm

VAsmallies wrote:As someone who loves to cook as well as fish, I'm almost more impressed with the oven range in the background! :big grin:
Yeah - that thing is a cooking wonder. :big grin: My wife loves to cook so she is very happy with the range. I love using it too...great for roasts and big birds.

Given the feedback on the Hien, it seems I am going to have some issues deciding what to do with it. :lol: FC kind of rules out topwater.

G Wood - thoughts?
DirtyD64 wrote:That Alphas looks so much better with the Zaion drag star... Wish I had ordered a couple before they stopped selling them. Think the SV103 star selling now works too right? Is that a 90mm handle?
Measures more like 85mm with a tape measure. :laugh1:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:27 am

Tokugawa wrote:
VAsmallies wrote:As someone who loves to cook as well as fish, I'm almost more impressed with the oven range in the background! :big grin:
Yeah - that thing is a cooking wonder. :big grin: My wife loves to cook so she is very happy with the range. I love using it too...great for roasts and big birds.

Given the feedback on the Hien, it seems I am going to have some issues deciding what to do with it. :lol: FC kind of rules out topwater.

G Wood - thoughts?
DirtyD64 wrote:That Alphas looks so much better with the Zaion drag star... Wish I had ordered a couple before they stopped selling them. Think the SV103 star selling now works too right? Is that a 90mm handle?
Measures more like 85mm with a tape measure. :laugh1:

I put a 100mm Tatula HD on mine, the gunmetal color looks okay with the SV105, but the length is a little much...

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:22 am

FC does not necessarily rule out TW IMHO. Maybe I think out of the box more than most :-k In a pinch it is super dandy and I rarely find a noticable negative impact in fishing and maneuvering lure. Of course I fish from yak and I am not afforded to worry about being too line specific especially when I top shot. To each their own, in any regard you will enjoy the Hien very much :big grin:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Very nice! Will probably work great for jerkbaits too

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 am

Loaded up #10 Tatsu and caught a few on a 1/8 tx rig last night. Definitely a fun rod. Sensitivity is there and no problems with hook penetration so far. Looking forward to more time with it.

I wonder why this didn't make it into the USDM lineup? Good move by TTT to have a few in stock.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 am

Yeah to be honest I'm not sure how this isn't in more hands, or at least talked about more one of the best lighter class rods built by megabass in my opinion. Super stoked you hooked it up Toku! Enjoy her. As stated it makes a dope jerkbait Rod too depending on your taste in action/tip for that particular lure presentation. Also definitely try drop shot, 10 lb is great as that's what I was using but my choice was P line floroclear for some reason I just love that line. 1/0 gama finesse hook Plus dreamshots or your choice of Finesse Worm or DS oriented plastic.I definitely prefer more buoyant plastics but dream shots are sweet. For shallow I went as light as 1/8 oz weight with rig but felt more comfortable with 1/4oz drop shot weight. for anything twenty five and below I went 3/8 plus DS setup. If you are into rapala shad rap/glass raps the Hien was super neat with the 5/16oz size. The weight of that lure plus the bill for diving deeper was a beautiful harmony, tip was wonderful to twitch those jerk/crank plugs. Just need the right casting reel of course. For me it was either the 12' BFS XG Aldie for really light or 09' Aldie with ALD0936RR spool for medium/light. Of course we all fish differently so take that with a grain of whatever :laugh1: although I've stated my joy for the rod in other threads I just really want to drive home the point on what a sweet pick up you drafted :big grin: Bang bang boogie 8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 am

Ohhh that stove though!!!
Tell me more
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible