Other Computerized Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Other Computerized Reels

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:27 pm

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the previous to Shimano attempts there were to use a computer processer in a fishing reel. I do not swear this information is perfect, but I have been able to find two other computerized reels. Daiwa was the first company to install a processer in a reel.
the Model PT 10E and PT 15E reels were fitted with a "Microcomputer" that revealed how far you were casting, how deep your lure is running, and how fast you are retrieving. The fisherman/computer programmer input the line test, line length and other parameters and the little LCD readout on the top of the reel revealed how much line is out during a cast. The readout also beeped every second after a cast to help you count down a sinking lure to the proper depth. The microcomputer was powered by a watch battery, and cost in the neighborhood of $150.00. Needless to say, they were not big sellers and were gone from most retail catalogs in a few years.

Ryobi was the next to try in the 1990s. I'm not sure of the exact date of introduction of the E-1 CCS (Computer Control System):
The main problems with this reel were that it required a fairly large battery, and that it attempted to do too much. The battery was approximately 1x2x¼ inches and the reel came with a separate battery charger. The battery is in the "thumb protector" above the level wind. This reel did use the CCS to attempt to control backlash by adjustment of the magnets. However, the reel also featured convertible right or left hand retrieve, a handle drag system where you could control the drag setting by turning the handle, and a flipping switch. The reel was also large and weighed in at 11.3 ounces. The reel had manual magnetic brake settings if you didn't like the CCS. The CCS allowed for four possible settings - from maximum spool RPM down to a minimum such as needed when casting into a high wind. The reel had 4 ball bearings and a 5:1 gear ratio. It was just too heavy and complex to succeed.

Photographing and posting this stuff takes time. As long as the 50 MPH winds we are having keep up, I will try to get some more stuff up in the next few days. However, if we get decent weather I'm outa here. The fish are calling.

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Other Computerized Reels

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:54 pm

WOW ROG you truly are the ultimate reel colector, those are some awesome reels
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

IRAX
Elite Angler
Elite Angler