First Post! Restore and upgrade on my Citica 100DSV

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
atxtomato
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

First Post! Restore and upgrade on my Citica 100DSV

Post by atxtomato » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

Hello Tackle Freaks!

I have been using the Tackle Tour reviews for the past years as I started getting into fishing and tackle. It has been very helpful so I decided to join the forum. I read the Tackle Tour Citica 200D review and bought one off ebay. I fell in love immediately!

The build quality and hardy feel of the reel just feels right. I have ran through many Lews, Abu Garcias and Penns in the past year, but I find myself always preferring Shimanos. I own spinning (syemetre, saros, nasci) and baitcasting reels (Citica 100DSV, 200D, 200DSV, Curado 300EJ and a couple Curado 200HG/PG) and love all of them.

The Citica hit a sweet spot for me as they are upgrade-able and fit my hand well. I opted not to source a Curado 200D as I found some of the differences didnt match the market price. Citicas could be had much cheaper and I found they don't have as many owners as the sought after Curado brother. Each of the few I have/had owned, they were all original owners and hardly used.

For this reason, I choose the Citica and I want to share a recent upgrade/renew on my little Citica 100DSV.

I did the following:

Added Curado bearing in place of Main drive bushing
Replaced deteriorating drag material for new dartanium washers.
Replaced all side plates and thumb rest
Complete service of internals and bearing flush

Here are a few pictures.
Day she arrived with some Shimano OEM goodies.
Teardown
Yuck

Looking Better

Old Bushing
All back together!

I want to thank the many who post here providing valuable information. It inspired me to join and post. Tight Lines!
New to fishing so pardon my ignorance! Shimano reel customizer

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First Post! Restore and upgrade on my Citica 100DSV

Post by goldrod » Wed May 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Great work..
i would make only one suggestion and that would be to upgrade the spool to a chronarch 50mg spool
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Great job! I love them 100D reels. I have a BNIB Citica100DSV and Curado100D on my shelf. Cool little reels, and the Citica is just waaaay harder to source. Very rare bird you have there.
<")))><{

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Nice! That's the TT spirit, don't forget to try some Daiwas as well. ;)
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu May 25, 2017 4:41 am

Good job!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:32 am

:welc:

Looks great! She's a beauty.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:39 pm

excellent!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:50 pm

atxtomato wrote: Replaced deteriorating drag material for new dartanium washers.
I wonder why the dartanium II material was deteriorating? Usually what we see in the shop is someone used a lubricant that they were not suppose to. Some lubricants will dissolve some internal parts and this is one of them. Makes the Dartanium II material sticky and gooie.

A lot of people don't like dartanium II material, but it is actually quite good under the right circumstances.

Shimano engineers patented dartanium 1 back in the 80's as I recall, and this material in your reel is the newer dartanium II material Shimano patented more recently.

So I am curious how you used the dartanium II drag washers? Did you install dry or put the correct drag grease on them as recommended in the shimano quick tips repair guide?

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shi ... everse.pdf

I have experimented with numerous drag washer materials over the years and today I buy up as much of this dartanium II as I can get because due to market demands shimano is now using cross fiber carbon drag washers in some of their reels and shelving the Dartanium II material.

I wish shimano would just sell sheets of it so I can cut the sizes I want for any reel. But I have to make do using the various sizes and shapes they do sell.

In some of my reels I use a combination of drag washers and even a combination of dry/wet. It is all in what you want out of it I suppose. I have even used it in spinning reels.

Shimano spent a lot of money on engineers and other developing it.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:54 pm

atxtomato wrote:
What did you use under the main drive gear?

In some of my curado reels I put Dartanium II on top and bottom. It looks like you are not using Dartanium II under the main drive gear?

Curious what you used and why?
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Looks great sir, job well done. I'm still refining my handle changing skills... :shock: