Jerk bait rules

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jerk bait rules

Post by dhottle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:25 am

I stopped to fish with my buddy Jeff at his honey hole on my way back to Erie PA from Florida. Jeff's honey hole is 68 acres with a maximum depth of about 32 feet. Beautiful pond with lots of wood & good clarity. It even has a resident eagle which entertained us several times. Just after we got there we saw one of Jeff's buddies with a spawned out 7-14 bass. We only caught smaller bass shallow. After a few hours of searching with jigs, senkos, swim baits, popper, etc I got the idea to try a Depps Balisong deep diver jerk bait which I had just bought to take up to Erie for smallies. I had two with me so we tied them on. Neither one of us had any other deep jerk baits because they didn't fit our preconceived notion of fishing a pond taking limited tackle with us. They worked pretty good.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jerk bait rules

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:52 am

Nice bass! Are you talking about the "balisong long bill minnow"? I was looking at it on TW a few weeks ago and it says it's actually designed as a tight wobbling crankbait and not a jerkbait.

Were you actually jerking it or fishing it more with long sweeps like they suggest? I have a couple of the regular balisong minnow jerkbaits and have done pretty well with them.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jerk bait rules

Post by dhottle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:Nice bass! Are you talking about the "balisong long bill minnow"? I was looking at it on TW a few weeks ago and it says it's actually designed as a tight wobbling crankbait and not a jerkbait.

Were you actually jerking it or fishing it more with long sweeps like they suggest? I have a couple of the regular balisong minnow jerkbaits and have done pretty well with them.

We were working them as a jerk bait. They run deeper than the regular balisong minnow. We were getting them down to 15-17 feet deep using light baid with a leader & light fluoro.