Adopted some Twins today!!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Adopted some Twins today!!

Post by Demoman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:52 am

I stopped in my local shop to pick up some rod sleeves and I came across these brand new twins, in a box in a corner, on clearance! I didn't figure the actual reels would be in the boxes but sometimes I get lucky. So, happy birthday to me, I decided I couldn't buy one. I had to buy both. I couldn't bear the thought of separating these two. So I am now the proud father of two brand new TD Zillions for such a price I can't bear to tell :big grin:

Now I need to go hit up the search button and see what spools are the bomb for these twins. I am so stoked.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Adopted some Twins today!!

Post by Teal101 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 am

Nice score! The PE special and HLC spools are your best upgades IMO. The 100M is nice for casting, but it seemed lackluster to me for pitching.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Nice! I am curious to what the clearance price was for one or both?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Forget the spool, those need handles and worm gear bearings first. :big grin:

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Spools Teal.
Fishing4Fun wrote:Nice! I am curious to what the clearance price was for one or both?
^sent you a pm. Might say "two for the price of one".
LgMouthGambler wrote:Forget the spool, those need handles and worm gear bearings first. :big grin:
What size is the worm bearing?
I don't mind the 90mm handles. I do think bulkier knobs would be nice. I'll probably put some Tatula paddle knobs on the exsisting handle. Not ever owning or working on a Zillion, I was really surprised how well the inside of these things are designed. Not much plastic at all, stout brass gears and metal clutch linkage. I see why everyone calls these things bombproof. One will be a dedicated s waver reel.

I do have a question guys, the long male plastic spindle tension pin(the T thing), do you all dab a touch of grease on the end of it where it meets the spool shaft? Or just use reel oil where they meet?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Nice score! They are incredible reels, and a LOT can be done to them. Unfortunately you can not replace the knobs on the stock handle, as they're riveted. Luckily, The Tackle Trap stocks numerous handle assemblies including the Tatula assembly. As for the plastic pinion shaft, a light touch of oil is all that is needed. Grease will most definitely slow the spool RPM's to a noticeable degree.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 am

Happy Birthday and welcome to TT. Nice acquisition, great reels.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 am

Demoman wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the Spools Teal.
Fishing4Fun wrote:Nice! I am curious to what the clearance price was for one or both?
^sent you a pm. Might say "two for the price of one".
LgMouthGambler wrote:Forget the spool, those need handles and worm gear bearings first. :big grin:
What size is the worm bearing?
I don't mind the 90mm handles. I do think bulkier knobs would be nice. I'll probably put some Tatula paddle knobs on the exsisting handle. Not ever owning or working on a Zillion, I was really surprised how well the inside of these things are designed. Not much plastic at all, stout brass gears and metal clutch linkage. I see why everyone calls these things bombproof. One will be a dedicated s waver reel.

I do have a question guys, the long male plastic spindle tension pin(the T thing), do you all dab a touch of grease on the end of it where it meets the spool shaft? Or just use reel oil where they meet?
Worm bearings are easy to get, look at The Tackle Trap. As far as the handles and changing the knobs, you cant. They are riveted on. You can get the handle assembly from the Tatula for cheap, thats what I did to one of mine.
Ordered 2 bearings set from Hedgehog Studios which is in their upgrade area on the Tatula customizations.

Or do Hawgtechs.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks for the Bday shout BigG.
Largemouthgambler, ^ those are some sweet Tdz's. Love the hawgtechs you got.

I got to take one of the Zillions out to the local watershed Rez for an hour tonight and it got it's first fish rather easily. Feels great, and I love the 7.1 ratio, as it was able to buzz bait, spinner bait, jig and swimjig flawlessly. Of course I've learned in true TT fashion I needed to snap a pic and share it's first fish, and my first ever on a Zillion :lol: This bass swiped my buzz bait taking the skirt, I tied a jig on and he munched that well enough to get the hooks in him. It's been a very long time since I've bank fished. I need to do it more often.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Nice! Glad to see you are breaking them in quite well! :D

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Awesome find! I have one just like it that I will never sell.

My thoughts:

The stock spool is great for mid to large crankbaits, jigs, and spinners. It will probably be great for the S-Waver so don't even think about switching it out until you try it. Keep the spool tension knob one click looser than no side to side movement. All your braking should be done by the magnets and then your thumb to stop the spool when the bait hits the water (you may already know all this).

The worm bearing makes a huge differences.

Carbontex drag washers make a huge difference. I wipe a bit of grease on mine.

Only upgrade the handle if you don't like the knobs or the looks or want very free spinning bearing supported knobs. If you don't care about those things, just force some light weight grease inside the knobs under the caps and they will be silent and very smooth. They just won't spin...

DaveJ

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:18 pm

Definitely a good score. I have the 100m spool in mine. As mentioned it's a great casting spool. I use mine to throw lipless cranks a good bit. Tatula handle is a cheap upgrade if you want to change knobs. Carbontex drag is a cheap and great upgrade. As for the work shaft I noticed no real difference when swapping out the bushing. I only did it because I like tinkering with things.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Nice fish. Glad you are liking the reel.

@Rippin-lips , I'm surprised to hear you say you don't notice a difference with the worm bearing upgrade. I think that'st he biggest difference maker.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:43 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Nice fish. Glad you are liking the reel.

@Rippin-lips , I'm surprised to hear you say you don't notice a difference with the worm bearing upgrade. I think that'st he biggest difference maker.
Same here. After cleaning my Zillion, lubing with hot sauce grease and adding that bearing I went from getting about a turn and a half of handle free spin to like 7 turns. I'm sure it was a combination of everything though.

DaveJ

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:27 am

Yeah I'm not sure. Just couldn't tell. Same with my Px68's