7'6" IMX Spinning Rod + 4000 Stradic = Freshwater SHARK

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

7'6" IMX Spinning Rod + 4000 Stradic = Freshwater SHARK

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon May 18, 2015 12:00 am

As the years go by, I find myself moving to a more simplified way of fishing. For great lakes trolling, I have all the toys. Leadcore, Copper, Wire, Divers, etc, etc, etc. But there is something to be said about a spinning rod and reel, clean spoon, off a rigger....a blast on light spinning tackle.

I use 15lbs braid (PP) on 4000 sized Ci4 reels...holds approx 700' of line....match them with IMX HSR 9000S Mag Light rods. For the first time in years I was almost spooled. When the fish hits, I immediately throw the boat in neutral. That is key when fishing the super light tackle. Running a small spread without copper, dipsy's, etc, allows me to control a fish much easier. Because I don't drag the fish back to the boat, the fish is still quite green...making for a fun battle, bringing me 360's around my boat, and of course under it. But that is the fun of light tackle...rather than just winching the kings in. As I fight and land the fish with the boat in neutral, It makes for very healthy releases.....taking the time to revive a fish caught on light tackle is VERY IMPORTANT (if your not keeping them of course). However, with 46 degree surface temps it doesn't take to long to get'em going again.

It's amazing how light tackle can perform in the right hands. (and with the right patience).