GIANT but not a bass.....lol 2010

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

GIANT but not a bass.....lol 2010

Post by lil_man72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:32 am

june 2010: i know some of you have heard the story on this grass carp without seeing the pic it probably seemed like a tall tale. well, i just found a couple pics i had emailed myself when i still had my old phone. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. anyway for those of you who doubt my fishing stories, how ya like me now...lol
i was out with devin fishing for bass in my little 11ft. coleman crawdad. we were down at the lake by the house in raytown. the bass in the lake are pretty small so when i set the hook on this guy i thought originally i had snagged a stump. then he took off like a bullet straight away from the boat. i had him hooked in the tail. he started jumping out of the water like you see saltwater fish do. the little 6'6" abu garcia vendetta rod and revo reel were in for a workout and so was i. he took devin, myself and the little boat for a ride down the lake. i'm not really sure how long it took to get him to the boat but it was a while.
for those of you that have never fished and wonder, why do people like fishing so much. it's days and catches like this, you never know what's going to be on the end of that line, but unless you throw it out you'll never find out.
can you tell someones tired of all this cold weather..

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: GIANT but not a bass.....lol 2010

Post by lil_man72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:39 am

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:55 am

Cool story! Glad you recovered the photos!

We had a similar story happen here in Florida about a decade ago out on Lake Howell. Some guy was fishing for bass using a rattle trap and somehow hooked up with a large fish he was not able to bring up to the surface right away.

He thought he was hooked into a record bass so he started making phone calls and got the FWC down to the lake and in a boat to observe the catch and certify it if it was a record bass.

Some how the news media caught wind of it and began circling helicopters overhead waiting for the fish to surface. The sun went down, the buzz was on and some time after dark he got the fish into the boat.

It turned out to be a 28 pound grass carp- one of the sterile fish the state puts into lakes and rivers to eat up unwanted vegetation.

It may not be the fish you wanted, but fight sure is!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:22 am

That's a pretty nice one. Those things are always fun for a fight. Have caught several over 30-40lbs in these parts fishing for catfish.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 am

i was using a new jerkbait and hooked him right in the tail on one of the twitches...lol
i've caught several carp fishing for bass but this was the biggest for sure.....
it seems some stay down looking for a place to hide like a catfish but don't roll like one..
this baby went on a run jumping straight away from the boat and it's the only time i've ever worried about my line capacity...
i could see the bottom of the spool a few times since i only had a trolling motor to try and keep up..

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:20 am

I've heard that Kings Hawaiian Rolls balled up on a big treble hook work great if you actually want to target those big carp. My Uncle's pond has some monsters I will try to catch someday.

DaveJ

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 am

I've caught multiple big grass carp in a pond I fished growing up...they ate chicken liver I was using for channel cats. Heard they like cherry tomatoes. I also used to snag them with rattle taps when they wee sunning on too over deeper water. The land owners out like 40 in a 3 acre pond. Figured I wasn't hurting anything. :D

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 am

Thats a beast! Carp fight way harder than bass pound for pound, wonder why they arent a more popular game fish?

Steez123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steez123 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Carp IS a popular game fish in Europe.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Steez123 wrote:Carp IS a popular game fish in Europe.
THE gamefish in Europe...and many other parts of the world. Carp are gamefish, just not to the majority of U.S. anglers.
Cagey wrote:Cool story! Glad you recovered the photos!

We had a similar story happen here in Florida about a decade ago out on Lake Howell. Some guy was fishing for bass using a rattle trap and somehow hooked up with a large fish he was not able to bring up to the surface right away.

He thought he was hooked into a record bass so he started making phone calls and got the FWC down to the lake and in a boat to observe the catch and certify it if it was a record bass.

Some how the news media caught wind of it and began circling helicopters overhead waiting for the fish to surface. The sun went down, the buzz was on and some time after dark he got the fish into the boat.

It turned out to be a 28 pound grass carp- one of the sterile fish the state puts into lakes and rivers to eat up unwanted vegetation.

It may not be the fish you wanted, but fight sure is!
Any fight that long is almost 100% guaranteed to NOT be a LM...even on ultralight line and rod/reel, LM do not have that kind of stamina.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:51 pm

No one says you have to keep a fish on the run. Eventually they do settle down. He could have kept that fish hooked all night long and resumed reeling it in in the morning if he wanted to, but as I understood it, he waited until the state officials arrived on scene right after sundown to verify the catch before trying to haul it in and get it over with.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:31 am

Cagey wrote:No one says you have to keep a fish on the run. Eventually they do settle down. He could have kept that fish hooked all night long and resumed reeling it in in the morning if he wanted to, but as I understood it, he waited until the state officials arrived on scene right after sundown to verify the catch before trying to haul it in and get it over with.
While this can be a truism, I wager that if the majority of experienced bass anglers hook into a 28lb grass carp, and had it on for over a few minutes of fight, they would likely realize it wasn't a bass. My perspective anyway.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:48 am

dragon1 wrote:
Cagey wrote:No one says you have to keep a fish on the run. Eventually they do settle down. He could have kept that fish hooked all night long and resumed reeling it in in the morning if he wanted to, but as I understood it, he waited until the state officials arrived on scene right after sundown to verify the catch before trying to haul it in and get it over with.
While this can be a truism, I wager that if the majority of experienced bass anglers hook into a 28lb grass carp, and had it on for over a few minutes of fight, they would likely realize it wasn't a bass. My perspective anyway.
Yep, I hooked into a 3 lb carp and knew after 10-15 seconds it was no bass. These things are freight trains.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:01 am

Caught a 7lb carp on a crappie sized shad dart and bobber... on a Wally Marshall Crappie rod. thought I hooked a monster LMB... for about 2 mins, then I knew better. lol. Talk about fun though!

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:05 am

dragon1 wrote:While this can be a truism, I wager that if the majority of experienced bass anglers hook into a 28lb grass carp, and had it on for over a few minutes of fight, they would likely realize it wasn't a bass. My perspective anyway.
And I totally agree with you on this point, but that is not how the story of this particular situation went. I was just trying to retell it as I remembered it.