The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
User avatar
BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:16 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Contact:

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby BRbasser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Man, those look good. The hawg handle looks killer on that reel.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby dragon1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 am

BRbasser wrote:Man, those look good. The hawg handle looks killer on that reel.


Unique, old school tough series of reels...and casts great with 3/8oz + lures.

I have six now (1 PT33C, 5 PT33SHs)! :lol: Need to get a couple of PT33SHs tuned! :big grin:

FWIW, I purchased all reels for about ~ $43 each. The PT33C was NIB (granted the box was beat to snot) and was $95 shipped to me, one of the PT33SHs was $60 shipped and only used a handful of times...the other four PT33SHs I got for $101 shipped.

Of course, with handle upgrades, abec 7s ceramic hybrids, drag upgrade, clean/re-lube - each reel will add in about another $120 or so, depending on which handle it receives. A bargain in my book for such capable, throw-back, all purpose reels!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby dragon1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:45 pm

Hmmm....the Scorpions' "Black Out" comes to mind...just about the right era as well. 8-)

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: SW PA.

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby CALL ME RIFLE » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Tats awesome Van, seriously cool seeing you and Spooky bring to life something of an old dream of mine, revamped and modernized classic Daiwas...just came across a NIB P model (professional), would love to have it tricked out....gotta stop spending on so much other stuff tho first

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby dragon1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks Brian...I love me some old classics, revamped!

BTW, if you are speaking of the PT33P, this is the "pitching" model I believe. I still need to get ahold of one of those, but may just swap out gears if I can find a set.

A definite thumbs up to spookybaits for starting this "fire". :lol:

User avatar
CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: SW PA.

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:23 am

Yessir Van, I am speaking of the Pt33P....but it stands for professional I am rather certain ;)

RangerFred
Angler
Angler
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby RangerFred » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm

That reel is so very old school. =D>

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm
Location: California

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby RISE » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:33 am

Damn fine job on those you guys, brings back some serious memories of when I was just a lil boy and life was so simple :-({|=
:lol:
Seriously, very cool stuff !!

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby spookybaits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:53 am

dragon1 wrote:Just got here today...fresh from Ian. Can't wait to slow-roll some 3/4 - 1oz spinnerbaits with it this Sunday!

Image

Image

Image

Image


Hell yes! Those cork knobs are clutch! let us know how ya like the reel.
Just spooled mine up with 20lb, gonna go throw some big baits this week and see how she does as a swimbait reel.

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby spookybaits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:06 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Yessir Van, I am speaking of the Pt33P....but it stands for professional I am rather certain ;)

Vans right, P is pitching. They all have 'pro model' printed on the front of the leverwind guide rod shield.

Pt33c: 3.8:1 c=cranking
Pt33p: 5.1:1 p=pitching
Pt33sh: 7.1:1 sh=Super Hi speed.

No idea why the pitching model is 5.1 though. They all have flipping switch. only difference between all 3 of them is the gear ratio(and if I'm not mistaken the sh might have different knobs. It was the last reel in the lineup and was still for sale after the other 2 were discontinued/pulled from shelves).

All were 'professional' grade & over-built imo.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:11 am

Brian, I really love this overall finished product. For slow-rolling any type bait, or big slow wide body wobblers up top - the 3.8:1 is great. I have a tendency to crank at a faster than normal rate anyway, so I can just now concentrate on fishing and let the IPTs control the bait for me. BTW, you are spot on...cranking power is silly good. :evil22:

Ian's work is exceptional, the full lock down force with his modified drag discs is tremendous! I will also have to mention that Mike at Hawgtech sent me the upgraded 102mm handles for the price of the 94mm as I noted in my email that the 102mm swept handles fit the PT series perfectly. Exceptional customer service and a HUGE KUDOS to Hawgtech...I will buy more in the future to support this USA company.

Just slightly higher than 18" IPT is what I have found online for the PT 33C ("El Gran Tiburon on this link) ;) : http://www.elgrantiburon.com.ar/Reel/de ... ID=21.html

Another very kool feature on the PT33s...the levelwind speed is the SAME regardless of whether the reel is the C/P/HS. This helps with laying down braid tremendously. I have noticed that the HS will lay down braid in tighter overall layout vs more spacing of the braid lay on the C due to spool revolutions...makes me think that I should use a slightly heavier diameter braid with the C and can get away with a thinner diameter braid on the P or SH models.

Anyway, I am "schedule" to hit the water this afternoon to try to snag my first bass of the year...two of the PTs along with a TDZ Type R+ paired with a MB XX EMTF will be going with me.

I hope to post on the water results shortly. 8-)

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby spookybaits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 am

dragon1 wrote:I still need to get ahold of one of those, but may just swap out gears if I can find a set.

If I'm not mistaken, you can rob the gears from PR33 models as well. These are more common(and cheaper) on the used market.
My fishing mentor(and the same guy who turned me on to these) actually prefered the PR's to the PT's. If I'm not mistaken, the main(only?) Difference between the PR's & PT's is the bearing count.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 am

spookybaits wrote:
CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Yessir Van, I am speaking of the Pt33P....but it stands for professional I am rather certain ;)

Vans right, P is pitching. They all have 'pro model' printed on the front of the leverwind guide rod shield.

Pt33c: 3.8:1 c=cranking
Pt33p: 5.1:1 p=pitching
Pt33sh: 7.1:1 sh=Super Hi speed.

No idea why the pitching model is 5.1 though. They all have flipping switch. only difference between all 3 of them is the gear ratio(and if I'm not mistaken the sh might have different knobs. It was the last reel in the lineup and was still for sale after the other 2 were discontinued/pulled from shelves).

All were 'professional' grade & over-built imo.


PT33C has a longer handle than the SH (knobs on the SH look to be burgundy in color on some of my reels?)

I don't have a PT33P for comparison yet.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby dragon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 am

spookybaits wrote:
dragon1 wrote:I still need to get ahold of one of those, but may just swap out gears if I can find a set.

If I'm not mistaken, you can rob the gears from PR33 models as well. These are more common(and cheaper) on the used market.
My fishing mentor(and the same guy who turned me on to these) actually prefered the PR's to the PT's. If I'm not mistaken, the main(only?) Difference between the PR's & PT's is the bearing count.


Yes, and use of bearings in place of bushings...and cosmetics.

Thanks for the heads up Brian.

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Postby spookybaits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:27 am

dragon1 wrote:Brian, I really love this overall finished product. For slow-rolling any type bait, or big slow wide body wobblers up top - the 3.8:1 is great. I have a tendency to crank at a faster than normal rate anyway, so I can just now concentrate on fishing and let the IPTs control the bait for me. BTW, you are spot on...cranking power is silly good. :evil22:

Ian's work is exceptional, the full lock down force with his modified drag discs is tremendous! I will also have to mention that Mike at Hawgtech sent me the upgraded 102mm handles for the price of the 94mm as I noted in my email that the 102mm swept handles fit the PT series perfectly. Exceptional customer service and a HUGE KUDOS to Hawgtech...I will buy more in the future to support this USA company.

Just slightly higher than 18" IPT is what I have found online for the PT 33C ("El Gran Tiburon on this link) ;) : http://www.elgrantiburon.com.ar/Reel/de ... ID=21.html

Another very kool feature on the PT33s...the levelwind speed is the SAME regardless of whether the reel is the C/P/HS. This helps with laying down braid tremendously. I have noticed that the HS will lay down braid in tighter overall layout vs more spacing of the braid lay on the C due to spool revolutions...makes me think that I should use a slightly heavier diameter braid with the C and can get away with a thinner diameter braid on the P or SH models.

Anyway, I am "schedule" to hit the water this afternoon to try to snag my first bass of the year...two of the PTs along with a TDZ Type R+ paired with a MB XX EMTF will be going with me.

I hope to post on the water results shortly. 8-)


Right on! I'm with you, I tend to crank faster and the 3.8:1 is ideal, especially with a long handle. I've been thinking about making my PT33sh a dedicated Lunker punker reel, that's good to hear about the leverwind.

Completely agree about ian's work. On my first cast/retreive(threw a dd22 on a x4 destruction), it was so smooth and powerful I thought my lure broke off due to there being no resistance. Wasn't untill it hit the bottom that I realized it was still tied on and just the smoothness shining thru.
My first words/thoughts were something to the effect of "are you f*¢king kidding me?!" Stock vs ian'ized is night & day difference in regaurds to smoothness & casting distance. I was expecting better distance but I wasn't prepared for the calais-like glassy smoothness. My fishing buddy dubbed it 'Mrs. Butterworth' lol.


Return to “Show and Tell”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests