Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
hoskope
Angler
Angler

Re: Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Post by hoskope » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:39 pm

the hooligan wrote:Best out of the box bfs reel for the money that I've used used so far.
Have you used normal Alphas 105? Does the shallow spool give you big advantage when casting light lures? What would be ideal lure weight range you think Alphas Air works best? For eg. can you go below 5g easily?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm

hoskope wrote:
the hooligan wrote:Best out of the box bfs reel for the money that I've used used so far.
Have you used normal Alphas 105? Does the shallow spool give you big advantage when casting light lures? What would be ideal lure weight range you think Alphas Air works best? For eg. can you go below 5g easily?
I don't own one, but my guess would be 3/32 of an ounce with a small, light plastic attached. Right rod of course

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 pm

hoskope wrote:
Regarding the Alphas 105, the shallow spool is better than normal 103 spool...close to pixy performance. Cal's review is right on, so you can read that to get a good idea of the performance.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 pm

VegasNative wrote:
the hooligan wrote:Need a little more red hedgehog bling and shes done :big grin:
What rod is that going on?
Im up in the air at the moment. Currently using a zodias bfs rod, playing with some ms-x limiteds, and considering a fenwick, evergreen, or another megabass bfs model :)

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:27 pm

hoskope wrote:
I havent used the regular sv105, but the alphas air will throw 5g and below easily. The spool is much lighter then sv105. With the right bfs rod 2-3g is no problem.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:07 am

hoskope wrote:
I have both, 5g is easy with the standard 105, I can go down to 3g without issue with the standard 105 spool. Under 3g and especially 2g and less is where the air spools really shine.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi! Anyone using the MG Yumeya 32mm spool? May I know what lines y'all are using with it? Mine's coming in this week and I want to get the line before it arrives.

hoskope
Angler
Angler

Post by hoskope » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:52 pm

ss30378 wrote:
hoskope wrote:
I have both, 5g is easy with the standard 105, I can go down to 3g without issue with the standard 105 spool. Under 3g and especially 2g and less is where the air spools really shine.
Great input. Now, what would you recommend for rod if lure weights are between 2-5g?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:02 am

My happy range is around the 6'-6'6". I have both the Jackson super trickster 6'4" light and the st Croix legend inshore 6'6" extra light. Both are excellent light rods. The st Croix can cast a bit better with the 2g and less and the Jackson has a bit more power, either is a great rod. Major crafts are also very nice. I'm sure others can enlighten you on a few other options.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:41 am

Tokugawa wrote:Finally had time to post pics...

Thanks for looking
Oh man, there's all those beautiful customs! I still remember when you had those built. FWIW, I'm fixing to rip off your idea with the japanesse paper O:). I just had my first 4 sheets show up today and now I just have to figure out the details. Finally working on a rod for my Ito.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks Steve. They are still producing fish too. Fun times. :big grin:

Regarding rod length, don't be limited to 6'6" and under. Longer finesse rods are great. I love a 7'2" as much as the 6'4" rods. I'd love to make a 7'6" ML rod someday. :-k

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:27 pm

The main reason i stick to 6'6" and less is due to the small streams that i fish. Much longer than that and they get difficult to maneuver in the tight spots. If I had more room id definitely have a few over 7'.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Has anyone tried aftermarket spools on the 16 Aldebaran BFS yet? Any comments on the performance gained when throwing lighter lures?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:14 am

Here's my latest fun-maker. A classic yellow Pixy atop a Majorcraft Corzza 6-5 ul bfs rod. I caught 9 yesterday afternoon on a tiny crank. It was a blast! Don't know why this site keeps clipping my pics. I can post the same link on bbc and it doesn't show up too large there for some reason. Just click on it and open in a new tab.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:30 am

Nice combo tim. I've always been curious of the corzza. I know it's listed as a moving bait rod, how do you think that fares for plastics?