Your most rewarding catch?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Your most rewarding catch?

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Sorry this is kind of long!

So theres this lake close to my house. It isn't the best lake to fish but it holds my most rewarding moment fishing.

This lake consisted of small sized bass (although abundant), blue gills, walleyes. I started to fish this lake extensively last year even though I've lived by it for as long as I could remember. During the spring of 2012, the fishing was good. Lots of 1-2 pound bass with the biggest one I've caught being around 3 or so. I didn't have a boat so I was limited to the lily pads off the beach and the fishing pier. The pier being the most productive. The bad thing was that the deepest you could get from shore was only around 6-7 feet and the weeds didn't really help my case.

Summer came and the bite became slow and harder to fish because of the growing vegetation. I didn't give up though. Many times it was either a hit or miss day, never in between.

Fall was coming and I noticed the fish were getting bigger. The fishing became VERY slow and I thought it was time to call it a season. During late september, a DNR truck pulls up and the two guys were stocking walleye yearlings into the lake. I tried catching them but they wouldn't bite (as I expected). The next day, I head out to the pier and saw the most interesting thing. A bunch of 1-2 pound bass and blue gill were jumping out of the water as if they were being chased. The next thing I saw jump was a (Estimated) 4 pound bass (big for Minnesota Metro Lakes). So I assume that was the guy chasing them. I threw spinnerbaits, flukes, senkos but nothing. It was getting dark and I was ready to leave. I then see a large musky jumping out of the water but well out of casting distance.

Every week, the musky was getting closer and closer to the pier. Close enough where I could finally cast at it. It looked like it was hunting those stocked walleyes aggressively. I threw pointer 100s, spinnerbaits, large spoons, a super spook but I just couldn't get it's attention. It made wake and jumped so high out of the water that you could see it's entire body. I was getting angry and frustrated. I felt as if the fish was taunting me. I vowed that I would catch him before the water froze.

In the next week (mid October), I return with my cousin (x2 our chances lol). This time I was sure I was going to catch it. I bought a dozen medium suckers. I resorted to float fishing for this guy! I rigged and waited. Both of our bobbers went down. We waited at least 20 seconds before setting the hook but to no avail. After the fail hook set, we didn't get another bite. The fish was still there though. Jumping freely and still, taunting me. After that frustrating day, I called it quits for open water fishing.

I do my normal routine on a Sunday (late November, after the week of thanksgiving).It was seemed like a perfect top water day. Cloudy, no wind with a side of 30 degree temp. I drop my sister off at work (she works at a sporting goods shop) and I also grab a bone-white Saltwater Superspook and I head out to the lake

I stare at the lake. The water had no movement. I throw a spinnerbait first. Nothing. I figured that someone had already caught the fish. I switched to the spook and I worked it very slow. Nothing. I changed the pace and long behold and large wake tailing my lure. At this point, I was excited yet nervous. I kept a constant speed and it hit the lure. The feeling of a top water Musky is PRICELESS. It was like a topwater bass but with a bigger and more aggressive splash. I wasn't sure I could keep it out of the shallow weeds with my Crucial/Crankbait Med-heavy. I was able to land it after 10 minutes or so. I pulled it onto ankle deep water (COLDDD!!!) and I was just stunned. My hands were shaking and I just had a big smile on my face. The steel leader was destroyed and the lure showed scars of the battle that I had won. After holding it for a while, I was satisfied. The fish was released safe and sound.

I didn't measure it but I estimate that it was around 42-44 inches which isn't particularly large for a Musky but I was completely satisfied. The satisfaction of catching the fish that has taunted me for almost 2 months makes this fish the most exciting and most rewarding catch of my fishing life.

Thanks for the read but I want to know, what was your most rewarding catch?
Please share! I love fishing stories! Photos are always a plus!

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Your most rewarding catch?

Post by triple_illusion » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:43 pm

nice! several years ago i was bassin with my bro at nite, from a dock. a huge bass chased a shad to the surface and made quite the splash. i was fishing a 4 inch hologram shad senko. i reeled it in as fast as i could, turned around, flipped my bait to the remaining splash and ripples.....tick, swing! fish on! there was a pylon to my right, and to my left. i had about 3 feet of free space to work with. that bass bounced back and forth between the two pylons like a ping pong ball. i landed it after a quick hard fight, she went about 10lbs.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Nice story and way to be persistent! I have caught a few muskie and if I was looking to target them it would be with walk the dog style of baits in low light conditions. Lost a few big muskie ... probably high 40s plus, that got away.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 am

yea, your musky hunting reminds me of the times when I am fishing for giant snakeheads. Some days nothing seem to work, and on others, when all is quiet, a big take can jolt your soul outta you.

I feel the most rewarding catch is fishing for estuary bass... asian seabass. They are sometimes soooo elusive. And they pack a dynamite in their bodies once hooked. Nothing beats the challenge of finding a wild seabass, and the joy of finally landing one. :lol: :lol:

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 pm

When I caught my first bronzeback at the age of 11.

One September day in 2007, I was fishing in a pond during the evening, testing my first hollow-bodied frog: the Scumfrog. A few casts later, a smallmouth rose to the surface near the shore, slamming my bait! My heart pounded so hard, I lost control, accidentally letting the line loose and the fish eventually spat the hook. However, I persisted using the same lure and fished all the way to the evening. As the trip was coming to an end, my dad told me to pack things up and go home, but I swore to him that it was going to be the last cast of the day. After I've said that, the same bass slammed my Scumfrog again, and I've finally brought him to the shore!

Pretty much the best way to end a fishing trip, and not only was it my first smallmouth and my first topwater strike, but it was also a rewarding result after all that persistence!

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:46 am

A buddy of mine and I were doing some fishing in some bad weather. 48 degrees with a steady drizzle.
We crossed some big water in a small boat to get to a smaller lake with a river inlet. The river being a no wake zone forced us to idle there for about an hour. When we finally got there all we could pull in were hammer handles and we each had some bite offs to small fish.

After about 3 hours we were about to head in with nothing more than a couple tiny pike thrown out of the boat and some light hypothermia but we found a nice bit of structure we had overlooked.

We each nailed one nice largemouth each and they both fought hard and ran for cover. It made the whole trip worth it. The weather went from bad to worse as we made the hour long trip back to the landing and we had a couple waves come into the boat. After we celebrated with hot coffee and Irish Whisky.

It was a brutal day but I would do it again.
Last edited by Gabriel on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 am

I have been chasing big pike for at least 20 years all over Canada. After numerous trips we settled in to fishing Lake Athabasca in northern Saskatchewan. My previous personal best pike was 26lbs and my buddy and I have chased the elusive 30 lber for about 20 years. This year on the first morning in camp I got lucky. We had to break ice to get to one of our favorite bays but it paid off. I caught this 32 lber on a lc pointer 100 saltwater series. She measured 49 inches long by 22 inch girth. She only had one hook point of the rear treble in her upper lip so I was very nervous until we finally got her in the cradle. I love chasing big smallies but this fish really made my year.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Keep the stories coming. Btw dhottle, that fish is beautiful and truly a trophy catch.

I'd love to catch me some double digit bass... ohhh someday...

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 pm

I've got a lot, but the first one that somes to mind was last year, in May...fishing Lake of the Ozarks for post-spawn fish. I was deep cranking (Lucky Craft D-20) a big main lake flat, practicing for a tournament (in the boat solo) when I hooked up with what I knew was a good fish. When I got it to the boat, something looked very funny. I then proceeded to swing the fish...I had a 6lb. largemouth on the front hook and a 17" walleye on the back hook..a weird double, when I have caught very few doubles, period...and no one there to witness it, except a couple of jack asses that were idling their run-about way to close to me.

ens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ens » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 am

Nice read. Persistence pays off....

BTW, Hmnginsocal here.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm