New Dropshot Rod!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New Dropshot Rod!

Post by dmat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Just got a new NRX dropshot rod...first one had to go back with cracks in the clearcoat. I had orignally ordered the green not realizing that the whole rod is coated. The folks at TW were nice enough to send me a blue one in return. Now it will match my 803C as well.

Well the rod arrived today and looks fine all around with no visible problems and is now the new home for my Steez 2500. This is replacing my custom SJ781 IMX and I can't wait to take it out tomorrow morning even though the temps are going to drop 10 or so degrees.
IMG_9707.jpg
Balances well and feels really nice!

Lets just hope that it fishes as well as it feels in hand!

-Don

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Dropshot Rod!

Post by Iowa Matt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice! I fish an NRX/Steez 2500 combo for drop shotting......looks exactly like yours. You will love the pairing. Only thing I changed was to ditch the heavy T shaped knob for a cork knob.

Matt

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 pm

It cant get any better can it? Love the combo. :D
Dobyns Rods

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Great combo. Let us know how it fishes.

Wish I had it, but can't complain too much. I have the younger brother of that combo, GLX with a Certate 2000.

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:19 pm

thinking of getting drop shot nrx too. tell us how it fishes.
nice setup!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:55 pm

great setup!!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Very nice setup, NRX rods are one of a kind.
mtfishing IG

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Well...fished the rod for a few hours on sunday morning. A small city park pond in southern california...maybe two or three acres.

The rod is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be! Slightly lighter tip than my 781IMX with a bit more backbone. Casted my 3/16oz weight and 4.5" roboworm with no problem and the sensitivity was excellent as well. Haven't fished it enough to really say how much more sensitive than my IMX.

Third or fourth cast before I could even lift my line...I usually let the worm lay on the bottom a bit before I even raise it up...my line starts ripping off to the left. I caught up to the fish and my rod is doubled over and drag is screaming! I fight the fish for about 5 minutes...making ground and then losing it right back. I figure I hooked into a large carp...don't really know as I've never caught one before. It was weird though as every so often the line would do a small circle or figure eight. Ive seen head shakes but never this...possibly rolling over? Anyway after another few minutes of drag pulling I felt my line pop and back comes my hook and weight...I thought my 6lb Tatsu had snapped since it sounded and felt like it. Never did see it...but man that fish was strong!

I managed 4 largemouth between 1.5-2lbs and lost another in three hours of fishing. The combo fished great...was slightly tip heavy...balancing right at the end of the foregrip. I do hate the foregrips on the NRX's (casting more than the spinning) the foregrip is my only complaints with the NRX's.

Anyway...absolutely love the rod!

Don

spotsucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spotsucker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Don

Hate to be the one to type this to you, but you need to know this. Since you lost that big fish on your maiden voyage with that combo, your rod and reel are now cursed!

I, thankfully know how to remove the curse (as I am an amateur witchdoctor around these parts).

You must urgently send me the cursed rod and reel. I will fish with it and loose a few nice fish(god knows I can do that!)
I will keep it for one year, to the day, and return it to you, thus removing the curse.

I know, it`s really big of me. No need to thank me.

SS

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 pm

spotsucker wrote:Don

Hate to be the one to type this to you, but you need to know this. Since you lost that big fish on your maiden voyage with that combo, your rod and reel are now cursed!

I, thankfully know how to remove the curse (as I am an amateur witchdoctor around these parts).

You must urgently send me the cursed rod and reel. I will fish with it and loose a few nice fish(god knows I can do that!)
I will keep it for one year, to the day, and return it to you, thus removing the curse.

I know, it`s really big of me. No need to thank me.

SS
Hahahaha...yeah...i'll get right on that!

You just sit tight and wait for the UPS truck...should be there ANY day now ;)

Don

spotsucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spotsucker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

Wish you nothing but years of great fishing with your new combo.

I'm just jealous!!

SS

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 am

SS...

Yours was one of the funnier comments I have read on here in a while...I appreciate the humor

Don

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 am

MTBF wrote:Very nice setup, NRX rods are one of a kind.
Indeed!!!