5 fish over 10lbs, one day... the stuff dreams are made of..

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

5 fish over 10lbs, one day... the stuff dreams are made of..

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 am

This is a description of the most epic day of fishing I have ever experienced written by a good friend of mine who was there with me on Falcon Lake. He not only witnessed the events that unfolded this truly magical day, but he also recorded weights, netted fish, and of course took photos! There are so many other photos of so many big fish throughout the trip, but this story really does take the cake... hope you guys enjoy 8-)

He writes the following:

This day proved to be nothing short of epic for Gary.
It started out pouring down rain in the middle of the night and continued well into the day. I decided to sit out the first half of the day and try to locate a stray dog's puppies (we'd been feeding her everytime we saw her over the last several days and could tell she had pups), get everything packed up for the haul home, and check out of the hotel. I got all that situated around 1500 and called G to come pick me up so I could fish the last part of the day. I could immediately tell he was pretty stoked the minute he picked me up. I took a peak in the box and saw nothing but giant heads looking up at me, Gary just smiled and said "I got 'em figured out". We made a short run back to the point where he caught the 6 & 7lbr the evening before, killed the motor, and emptied out the live well for a photo shoot. G then proceeds to pull donkey after donkey out of the box, cheesed it up with them, weighed them, then released them all back (perfectly healthy I might add). His tally at this point was a 7lbr, a 7lb 11oz, a 8lb 3oz, a 10lb 2 oz, and a 10lb 14oz. Then isht got real....

Gary jumps up on the trolling motor and says "I'll show you where they're stacked up". He pulls up to that little bitty point we fished the night before, lines the boat up to his liking, fires off a cast, and says "been sticking them right there next to that stick", and right on cue sets the hook on a 10lb 4oz slouch. He fights the fish, I net it, then we take a moment to get a couple pics of his 3rd 10lbr that day.

After that, he takes a minute to line the boat up and fires off another cast. Bam, he sets the hook on a 10lb 6oz beast. He fights it, I net it, blah blah blah, wash, rinse, & repeat. That makes four 10lbrs for Gary.

He lines up again, makes a cast, and sets the hook, but this time it was only a baby (7lbr). We take a couple more pics, and chunk it back. At this point the entirety of the situation begins to set in with G and he says "man Coop, I'm perfectly fine calling it a day" (the sun was setting by this time). I say "no way, line it up again and finish off your 50lb sack" (half joking, and half fully aware what might just actually happen")

Right on time, G sets the hook again and I look up to see another monster tail walking her way towards the boat. I grab the net, scooped her up, and said "that's your biggest one yet". Sure enough, she weighed 11lbs 6ozs capping off a remarkable 5 fish, 53lb sack for the bearded fish whisperer.

After a flurry of high fives, pictures, and man hugs. We both decided it was best for him not to tempt fate, and just walk away on top. So rods were stowed, the boat was put on the rack, and we headed northbound out of town, with his last cast sticking that big girl who topped off the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed on the water.

We drove to San Antonio that night, and G caught his plane the next morning.

a few from the livewell...

10lb 14oz and 10lb 2oz

7 pounder even for good measure...

10lb 4oz - 3rd over 10 of the day...

10lb 6oz - 4th over 10 of the day!

11lb 6oz - 5th over 10 of the day!!!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 5 fish over 10lbs, one day... the stuff dreams are made

Post by Boondock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

Awesome Gary! Doubt you will beat that in your lifetime!
Well time man :shock: =D> =D>

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 am

Congrats Gary. Guess that cold front wasn't as bad as you thought. :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19 am

USA-RET wrote:Congrats Gary. Guess that cold front wasn't as bad as you thought. :lol:
No kidding, right? I was definitely bummed that temps dropped 30 degrees the day I got there... but I was on a mission and ground it out to find a few nice fish :lol:

Thanks guys! :big grin:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 am

Simply amazing, I’m in shock & awe! Great day, great fish, gratis…. =D> =D> =D>
Rods & Reels Excite me!

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:41 am

great fish, dude!

now...what about the gory details ? (tackle)

=P~
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

basspoundermatt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basspoundermatt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:42 am

WOW. That is amazing, what a fantastic day! Great job!

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Wow Gary. what a trip!!!! Congrats!

Jraymond
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jraymond » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Thats amazing! one 10lber in a lifetime would be good enough for me
Owner www.susquehannasmallmouthguides.com

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:58 pm

brokeneye wrote:great fish, dude!
That part was great too!! I'm very particular about matching up the "right" rod, reel, line, etc.. and after having been schooled by some toads earlier in the week, I knew I needed my tackle to give me the upper hand in these brutal conditions, though under normal circumstances, the gear I used to land these beasts is not how they are used closer to home!!

I used a Daiwa Z200HL spooled with 55lb Daiwa Samurai Braid on my Evergreen Super Stallion to catch the shallow crankbait fish.

I used a Daiwa Steez 103HL spooled with 30lb Daiwa Samurai Braid on my Steez XBD Frog Rod to catch the "mid depth" crankbait fish...

I know, it sounds nuts, but those fish down there are mean and will absolutely smoke any kind of light tackle in the nasty heavy cover I was fishing...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

craprapx2001
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by craprapx2001 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:09 pm

That's amazing... Here I come Falcon

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Gary, you dont show and tell very often. but damn, when you do. its amazing.so envious right now.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Simply amazing!!! That's what I call fishing =D>
http://thefishingboy.blog138.fc2.com

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm

bronzefly wrote:
brokeneye wrote:great fish, dude!
That part was great too!! I'm very particular about matching up the "right" rod, reel, line, etc.. and after having been schooled by some toads earlier in the week, I knew I needed my tackle to give me the upper hand in these brutal conditions, though under normal circumstances, the gear I used to land these beasts is not how they are used closer to home!!

I used a Daiwa Z200HL spooled with 55lb Daiwa Samurai Braid on my Evergreen Super Stallion to catch the shallow crankbait fish.

I used a Daiwa Steez 103HL spooled with 30lb Daiwa Samurai Braid on my Steez XBD Frog Rod to catch the "mid depth" crankbait fish...

I know, it sounds nuts, but those fish down there are mean and will absolutely smoke any kind of light tackle in the nasty heavy cover I was fishing...
Megabass Orochi Destruction :?: :D Tell me you didn't fish it O:)
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:41 pm

What a day =D> =D> . Those are are some rockin pics too!!!