Got my first Steez!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Got my first Steez!

Post by Dave079 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:39 pm

Not a baitcaster like most of you would rather, but for the saltwater fishing I do a spinning reel is much more necessary. (ie throwing corks)

I paired it with a Kistler Helium LTX II. You can't get a lighter spinning combo than this. Entire combo weighs 10oz. Reel is 7oz and rod is only 3oz.
I decided to take my Stella off of the LXT II and put it on a regular Helium LTA that had been waiting to get a new reel on it.

Cant wait to use it. Its not as pretty as the Stella, but is still a gorgeous reel. I actually find the Stella to be a tad smoother, but thats just being very picky. I am just very happy to be able to own both of these reels.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Got my first Steez!

Post by brokeneye » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:12 pm

nice set!

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Just curious, is the USDM Steez spin saltwater ok? Cos the JDM version is not.......

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:54 pm

matrix wrote:Just curious, is the USDM Steez spin saltwater ok? Cos the JDM version is not.......
Do you mean is it saltwater resistant? If so its not a huge deal. I take very good care of my reels when I use them. Clean them well after each trip. I don't surf fish or anything and its all inshore so little to no saltwater gets on them.

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:00 pm

Yup I'm referring to saltwater resistance.

If your Steez is indeed not saltwater safe, you could always get the Australian version of the Steez, which is rated for saltwater :D

In any case, nice set up!

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:05 pm

matrix wrote:Yup I'm referring to saltwater resistance.

If your Steez is indeed not saltwater safe, you could always get the Australian version of the Steez, which is rated for saltwater :D

In any case, nice set up!
Thanks man!

Just read a bit on it and it does says its treated to resist saltwater corrosion.

"Steez Components
Magnesium body, side cover and rotor keep weight to a minimum while giving rigid support to the drive train. Treated to resist saltwater corrosion."

Regardless, where I fish is more brackish (where saltwater and freshwater bodies meet) than regular saltwater so its not as harsh as normal saltwater. I still do a thorough cleaning after each trip though.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:57 am

I do not want to sound pesimist, but even the breeze of the sea leaves salt in the reel that eventually will cause corrosion. I do inshore fishing too, but believe me, you better use a SW resistant reel. The Daiwa Exist is better suited for your application.
---- Catch & Release -----

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:09 am

Papageno1791 wrote:I do not want to sound pesimist, but even the breeze of the sea leaves salt in the reel that eventually will cause corrosion. I do inshore fishing too, but believe me, you better use a SW resistant reel. The Daiwa Exist is better suited for your application.
I have much less quality reels that have been used for years now fishing only saltwater that have zero signs of corrosion. I don't think that will be an issue with this one. If this one last me 4 years then I will be happy and just buy a new one if something happens to it which I doubt. Again I have several non saltwater reels which have been used in saltwater only that are in perfect working and non corrosive condition. I don't fish very salty water. It is mostly brackish. Seems like if it isn't a "JDM" rod or reel there is something wrong with it here.

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Also forgot to mention that I got it for only $350 new in the box off ebay. Seems like the seller is letting them go for around that price even if their reserve isnt met at $350. I got a second chance offer that I missed out on and they still sold it to me for $350 on an off auction purchase.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:52 am

Papageno1791 wrote:I do not want to sound pesimist, but even the breeze of the sea leaves salt in the reel that eventually will cause corrosion. I do inshore fishing too, but believe me, you better use a SW resistant reel. The Daiwa Exist is better suited for your application.
I agree, but ironically for the US market they treated the Steez to resist saltwater corrosion. So it is only the JDM Steez that is freshwater only. Very odd... but I am sure they figured better than givng us 2 options.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:08 am

Very nice reels!

You take good care of your reels! I always have a bit of a bad conscience about cleaning, normally just rinse and wipe them down. But I almost never fish the salt so I'm not to worried ... :? :D

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:48 am

Wachtel wrote:Very nice reels!

You take good care of your reels! I always have a bit of a bad conscience about cleaning, normally just rinse and wipe them down. But I almost never fish the salt so I'm not to worried ... :? :D
Thats basically what I do. I don't do an involved cleaning process. Its more of a freshwater spray down, then dry them off very well. Its has worked for me for years now and I don't have a single reel with a single sign of adverse saltwater damage in the least.