Get ready Mahi-Mahi

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Get ready Mahi-Mahi

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Say Saltiga to any angler and he immediately will think of offshore fishing for sea monsters. Although that is a reasonable thinking, not all the "offshore" fish are in the monster category. Daiwa offers the tackle for such species like dorado (dolphin fish), which are between light offshore fishing and heavy inshore fishing.
My new rod belongs to the Saltiga Dorado series. Mine is the Saltiga Dorado SG M-OVER 80S, especially designed to go after mahi-mahi casting jigs from a boat or from the shore. Perfect balance, light weight for such a strong rod, and nice looks, is the proof that tough rods and elegant designs can go together well 8-)
As for all Daiwa rods, the best match is a Daiwa reel. But a Saltiga reel on that rod? Yea. Daiwa created a light and small, yet strong, version of the Saltiga reel. The Saltiga Game series have the same gears as their bigger brothers, but in 3000 and 3500 sizes. I chose the 3500. At the beginning I felt that the reel was not as smooth as I thought it would be (15 BBs), but after loading the spool and casting some heavy lures the machine turned into a very soft retrieve reel (better than the Certate!). This is without any doubt one of the finest reels in this size that you can find on the planet. The only thing I disliked was the handle knob. It is not ergonomic for a heavy duty reel. Thus, I am ordering this tuning part, which I am sure will improve the feeling and the looks of this strong and beautiful machine.
As I am not so close to the sea, my combo will be used for the moment for Silure fishing, which I am certain are heavier and tougher than mahi-mahi :evil:
Now, the pictures!
Attachments
TT-5.JPG
TT-5.JPG (73.88 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
TT-4.JPG
TT-4.JPG (38.34 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
TT-3.JPG
TT-3.JPG (46.73 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
TT-2.JPG
TT-2.JPG (41.39 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
TT-1.JPG
TT-1.JPG (42.88 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
---- Catch & Release -----

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Get ready Mahi-Mahi

Post by BassFreak » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Very pretty set-up indeed.. Wishing you all the Dorado you can handle..

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am

BassFreak wrote:Very pretty set-up indeed.. Wishing you all the Dorado you can handle..
Thank you...for the moment I will be catching Silures :P

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:54 pm

Those Silures/Wels Catfish are just outrageous for length...I understand that there have been some in the past that pushed near 10feet and close to 250+ lbs?

Anyway, good luck!

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:48 am

dragon1 wrote:Those Silures/Wels Catfish are just outrageous for length...I understand that there have been some in the past that pushed near 10feet and close to 250+ lbs?

Anyway, good luck!
Yes...but I went to the Seine last weekend and caught nothing, not even a "small" one. A friend of mine told me he will come fishing with me to see one of those fish, because he still believes they are a PhotoShop creation :lol:

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi Papa,

What is the line that you've got on the reel? looks like braid but I haven't seen that color.

Regards,
Aaron

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:11 am

Beautiful combo! Would be perfect for pike here and for my next trip to Oz.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:45 am

tibor01 wrote:Hi Papa,

What is the line that you've got on the reel? looks like braid but I haven't seen that color.

Regards,
Aaron
Hi Aaron,
I hadn't seen that color either (until recently)!
They call it "solar collector" and it is not braid. I chose a heavy duty mono line especially designed for tough freshwater monsters: Berkley Trilene Big Cat in 20 lb.
Last edited by Papageno1791 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:46 am

Wachtel wrote:Beautiful combo! Would be perfect for pike here and for my next trip to Oz.
Thanks!
Actually I use a metal leader. I wouldn't mind catching a pike instead of a silure ;)

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:07 pm

Excellent combo you have there! Let us know how it feels when you catch a big one. :D
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:41 am

In the Seine river you can reasonnably expect 20 to 50kg. For a weight estimate you can divide by 2 anyting over 1m. Example: you catch a 1.50 meter. Divide 50 by 2 that's 25. 25kg will be your approximate weight.
Attachments
Photo 074bis.jpg
Photo 074bis.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
Photo 118bis.jpg
Photo 118bis.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 7032 times

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:40 am

Fbass wrote:In the Seine river you can reasonnably expect 20 to 50kg. For a weight estimate you can divide by 2 anyting over 1m. Example: you catch a 1.50 meter. Divide 50 by 2 that's 25. 25kg will be your approximate weight.
GREAT!!
I am using X-Rap 14 lures and huge grubs (50 gr) to pursue silures, but no success so far in 2 days. I see that the silure in the picture was caught with a spoon. Do I have any possibility with the X-Rap 14 or I must try wobbling spoons instead?
What about silures below 1 meter? How can I estimate their weight?

Florian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Florian » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:54 am

One thing I am hearing all the time about catching Silures with lures is to cast a heavy spoon way up in the air so it makes a very loud splash when it hits the surface. People do this with 50 cast on the exact same spot to get the attention of those fish and according to their stories after a while they will crash the lure once it hits the water.

I have also read that blind casting is not very effective at all and that you should try to locate fish or find actively feeding fish and cast a lure right infront of their head.

Personally I have never fished for them and thats only what other folks have been telling me.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 am

Florian wrote:One thing I am hearing all the time about catching Silures with lures is to cast a heavy spoon way up in the air so it makes a very loud splash when it hits the surface. People do this with 50 cast on the exact same spot to get the attention of those fish and according to their stories after a while they will crash the lure once it hits the water.

I have also read that blind casting is not very effective at all and that you should try to locate fish or find actively feeding fish and cast a lure right infront of their head.

Personally I have never fished for them and thats only what other folks have been telling me.
I can say that blind casting is useless, not only with silures. Now, I will cast my lures very high so the splash will be heard from side to side of the Seine river. I hope this will improve my chances to catch one. Thanks for your tips!

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:34 am

Yes that's a good tip. Unfortunatly fishing from leaves you few other options than blind casting.
Here's a few things to improve the odds:
-Fish late, even at night. Eventhough it's against the law, who cares?
-Large spoons and big weighted grubs are the best. Rapalas can work, but not so great IMO.
-I have caught many silures away from the bottom. Most active fish are suspended somewhere in the water. I have caught many fish about 1m deep. but one needs to try everything. But beware, there so much trash on the bottom so if you keep hugging the bottom you WILL snag! I use the count down method so I can stay close but not touch it.
-Many people might disagree but I have found that a slow regular retrieve works best.
-The absolute best time is during a flood or high stained water, heck the water is always stained, muddy water is good. Use big spoons, you can attach a willow blade on a swivel to the split ring for added flash and sound.
-Remember that silures are harldy ever alone. They can be tough to find but if you catch one stay there. You can usually catch more every 15mn or so.

To estimate a weight under 1m??? well use your arms and eyes and take a good guess!! Sorry no formula! 1m is around 10 to 12kg I'd say.
My best spots are Ile St Denis and Epinay sur Seine.