Pictures of Calais

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pictures of Calais

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:16 am

Last weekend I was in a small town in the north of France. Yea, I know this is not a travel related site, BUT, the name of the town is Calais. I thought it would be interesting for people who own that reel to see some images of the place that inspired the name for this Shimano high end baitcaster. Enjoy! ;)
Attachments
TT_5.JPG
The municipality building
TT_5.JPG (29.46 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
TT_4.JPG
Royal Street (main street)
TT_4.JPG (50.64 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
TT_3.JPG
Belfry towers
TT_3.JPG (31.18 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
TT_2.JPG
The yacht marina
TT_2.JPG (30.91 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
TT_1.JPG
Fishing at the pier and lighthouse
TT_1.JPG (30.29 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
---- Catch & Release -----

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pictures of Calais

Post by Fishingboy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:31 am

Nice pictures but i don't think that Calais is an inspiration for the Shimano Calais flagship low profile baitcaster. Nor does Calcutta city have anything to do with Shimano's flagship round profile baitcaster ;) . i think it's more of the case Shimano America chose names that begin with "C". ;) Hope you enjoy your self in Calais!

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 am

Fishingboy wrote:Nice pictures but i don't think that Calais is an inspiration for the Shimano Calais flagship low profile baitcaster. Nor does Calcutta city have anything to do with Shimano's flagship round profile baitcaster ;) . i think it's more of the case Shimano America chose names that begin with "C". ;) Hope you enjoy your self in Calais!
Well, I don't think they (Shimano) invented the word "Calais" out of nothing. Certainly they chose the name of a city starting with C, but they could've chosen Canterbury, Cannes, Cochabamba and many many other cities with a C at the beginning. Why exactly Calais?

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:14 am

IMHO, names were selected based on cities which began with "C" that sound pleasent to the ear. Not because it has anything to do with the city itself (i think). Well, in that case, I don't think shimano choose the name Calcutta out of nothing :roll:

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 am

I would name Copacabana a reel especially tuned for Brazilian peacock bass :big grin:

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 am

Papageno1791 wrote:I would name Copacabana a reel especially tuned for Brazilian peacock bass :big grin:
or maybe a Shimano Colombia, they have peacock bass there too :lol:

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:04 pm

Thanks for the Calais pics. I've often wondered how the French name about for such a wonderful reel.

Dan

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:31 pm

is it just me or does that place look............clean.

if that were over here, there'd be adult soda cans, white syrofoam baitcrap and mickey d wrappers all over that dock.

what's wrong with dem guys? :shock:

thanks for the pics, papageno...pretty place.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:11 am

Last edited by SLM on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:13 am

Isn't that where Rommel mistakenly thought the Allies would begin their invasion of western Europe?

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:59 am

SLM wrote:Isn't that where Rommel mistakenly thought the Allies would begin their invasion of western Europe?
Yup! Actually the Allies bombed the town day and night to persuade the Germans that an invasion to continental Europe would be imminent at that point. Calais was a strategic site during WW2 because it is the closest French town to England (less than 40 km across the sea). The former German bunker in the town is a museum of WW2 now. There is a re-creation of how the transmissions room looked like with all the original equipment!
Attachments
TT_6.jpg
TT_6.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 5983 times

Florian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Florian » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 am

brokeneye wrote:is it just me or does that place look............clean.
If I would compare the places I know in Europe and the USA I would have to say that europe is much much cleaner. People dont seem to litter nearly as much and most towns clean the roads and sidewalks regularly.

I'll be in Calais too in about three weeks, but only to take the ferry over to England where I'll spend a week in Brighton and London.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 am

Papageno1791 wrote:Yup! Actually the Allies bombed the town day and night to persuade the Germans that an invasion to continental Europe would be imminent at that point. Calais was a strategic site during WW2 because it is the closest French town to England (less than 40 km across the sea). The former German bunker in the town is a museum of WW2 now. There is a re-creation of how the transmissions room looked like with all the original equipment!
That's what I thought--most of the references I see for the town/region are for "Pas de Calais" so that's why I asked. I'd love to visit that museum (as well as the town itself)...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:12 pm

Glad to see that the applicable and ENFORCED laws prohiting in-breeding and littering has helped that part of Europe, and other places in the World stay cleaner than most of our places here. :roll:

Have you guys ever seen how silly clean Singapore is? Can't chew gum, spit, or spray paint property (as that goof ball, spoiled POS teen found out a few years back when he got lashed...and his even bigger POS Dad protesting his punishment).

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 am

Some people pay for a good caning...that kid got one for free. Spoiled teenager.