My Biggest fish of the year

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

My Biggest fish of the year

Post by hobobob » Sun May 13, 2007 3:46 pm

Biggest of the day on an x-rap xr8

Friday night, gave a call to my fishing buddy trying to get a trip together to the local reservoir, but he said he promised his girl to take her to blah blah blah. I had to changed plan and decide to go solo and hit the local lake.

Saturday morning, I grab my shimano compre 2pc, revo stx, compact box of lures and couple packs of soft plastics and hit the road. First I tried my favorite xrap xr8 in silver, that thing is a dinky magnet, cookie cutter after cookie cutter, even two bluegills. I snap on a rattling rapala hoping to land a keeper size. After cover a good stretch of shoreline with fan cast, I landed 3 keep size. around 10:00AM, I decided that I had enough cleaning alge and weeds off trebles in between casts and tied on a flurocabon leader and a owner 4/0 ewg hooks.

It's plastic time. First plastic I tried is the sweet beaver, pitching it into visible beds and holes in between weed pads. I saw my lines moving to different direction, so I set the hook, nothing. Within 5mins I got line movement again, waited like 2 sec, set the hook nothing :?: what gives? Time to change lure,

I put on a strike king z-too for the very first time. Its the biggest producer of the day. I like my super flukes, but this thing is amazing. It's incredibly soft, feel like softgel instead of plastic. I pitched it near fallen trees and lilly pads slowly twitch and jerk it once in a while. Time after time, the fish would hit it hard, no nibblers here, I got like 10 bass from dingy size to 3lbers. I saw a nice patch of lily pad, first pitch in the hole, BAM, the fish in the last photo hit it like a fright train right after the lure touch the water. Landed him pretty quickly since he had no where to run. Fishing slow down at noon, so I called it a day around 1pm. Amazingly the z-too still looks brand new, I am going to save it to see how many outing can it last, maybe those toothy critters at the reservoir can chew them up.

For those guys who fish shallows, I highly recommened a good pair of sunglasses. I could see the bottom (3-6ft) very clearly with kaenon kore copper lenses. I saw a guy standing on a ledge casting spinning bait into the next zipcode, mean while, right at the bottom of his feet, under 3ft of water, a huge female is on a bed doing her business. I wish my phone camera could take picture of him and the fish. Very funny stuff.

Nothing wakes you up like a rattling rapala in the morning

20 inch plus on a strike king z too
Last edited by hobobob on Sun May 13, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My Biggest fish of the year

Post by TOPWATER » Sun May 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Nice job on the fish, long skinny bass.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sun May 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Give em some time them northerns like to fatten up.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon May 14, 2007 4:18 pm

Great Bass hobobob! Good color.

Dan

woodman6035
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by woodman6035 » Mon May 14, 2007 4:46 pm