My brand new Antares DC

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

antares DC UPDATE

Post by AndZ » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:50 am

Yesterday I fished with the Antares DC for the first time. Having not owned the previous Shimano DC models (Conquest/Calcutta 201 or 101 DC), I didn't know what to expect.

On the lake that I went yesterday I don't use baitcasting gear regularly... that's because the main target species is walleye/zander, which are best caught with smaller/lighter jigs and soft plastics. However, I wad dying to test my newest acquisition - the Antares DC. So I brought it with me, together with my spinning combos. I spooled with some 14 lbs. Toray Solaroam Super Strong nylon and paired it with my super-universal Daiko Scylas (two-piece cfg.).

Since my first cast, I couldn't believe my eyes and ears :)... Un-freakin'-believable! The 1/4 oz. spoon, which is quite air-resistant, flew away incredibly far... I was on L-7 settings on the DC system. A big smile :D on my face. And the electronic sound was music to my ears :big grin: Now that's how a baitcaster is supposed to sound when casting! More features, more fun... but to me, the electronic sound also serves as great monitoring sound for the cast... This reel is smooth, and just as Zander specified, you are a lil' bit connected with the gears.

The wind was strong enough (12-15 mph) yesterday so it was an excellent environment to test DC's abilities as casting into the wind. I only 1/4 oz. jigs with some Mr. Twister and Berkley Gulp plastics (4" and 3") to actually catch my first fish on the DC... One small pike and two zander... What began a test day with the Antares (I was planning to test-cast the reel for 1/2 hour or so then get back to my spinning reel) ended up in almost a whole day of fishing with the amazing reel.

Casts into the strong wind? No problemo :) The Wind mode set on W-5 to W-7 did the trick. Never before I was able to cast such distances, without any hint of backlash into the wind. I also tried the L-mode (Long distance mode)... but this is quite difficult to master with light lures.

I still can't believe this is reel is for real, because it's that good. The casting distances are greater compared to my other reels, and the line control is phenomenal. I for one can't wait to get to the lake and fish with the DC again.

IMHO, this reel is worth every cent... considering the good price that PLAT Japan sells it at.

I'll be posting pics later this week with the Antares DC in action...

Thanks!
Andrei