Rod Choice for Pixy/Alphas Ito

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod Choice for Pixy/Alphas Ito

Post by gyro » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:08 pm

ChuckE wrote:I've found I can cast my Presso/Pixy UL bait caster combos more accurately and just as far as my UL spinning combos using the same lures and rated line. However, the key is to get a rod that loads effectively at the lower lure weights. If you try to overpower a bait cast rod (e.g. that doesn't load effectively), to get it to cast 1/16 oz lures (total weight), you will usually challenge the anti-backlash system and an overrun will often occur. Accuracy also seems to suffer if your rod doesn't load effectively.
Thanks guys for the replies about reel choice. As ChuckE said, now how about rods. Guess I'm also in the market for a good rod to match a UL baitcaster specifically for worming and jigging.

What's a good rod to go with the Pixy or Alpha ITO?

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best light line low profile baitcaster?

Post by Scot » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:32 pm

gyro wrote:Thanks guys for the replies about reel choice. As ChuckE said, now how about rods. Guess I'm also in the market for a good rod to match a UL baitcaster specifically for worming and jigging.

I'm interested in that one too....something that would actually load up during a cast :?:

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best light line low profile baitcaster?

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Im using a shimano crucial DS rod for my pixy and I have to say its one of if not my fav combo to use. :lol: Both my ITO AIs are on Loomis GL3 MH one a 6'6" and 7' footer and I use those for worms and jigs. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rod Choice for Pixy/Alphas Ito

Post by mhood » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:56 pm

gyro wrote:Thanks guys for the replies about reel choice. As ChuckE said, now how about rods. Guess I'm also in the market for a good rod to match a UL baitcaster specifically for worming and jigging.

Man, I just don't know about worming and jigging with a UL baitcaster. If you want to think topwater and small cranks, the MB F0-60X Elese is incredible. If you're serious about worming and jigging with 6-8lb. line then the Evergreen Steed is magnificent. I sure did like the feel of the He2 Medium Kistler I played with at Cabelas. I'm still thinking about a MB Espada Gti but want to know a bunch more about it. :?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:23 am

You should have a look at the Limited Edition Daiwa Pixy Rod, they have them at my local tackle store and they are pretty nice. I mounted a Pixy reel on one the other day and it felt fantastic.

Aaron

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:37 am

tibor01 wrote:You should have a look at the Limited Edition Daiwa Pixy Rod, they have them at my local tackle store and they are pretty nice. I mounted a Pixy reel on one the other day and it felt fantastic.

Aaron
I have had one of those Daiwa Limited Edition Pixy rods for a good while now and can confirm it's a fantastic piece of kit :evil: :evil: :D :D

Last edited by Vidar6 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:38 am

I think ChuckE has a Mattman built custom UL caster. Hopefully, ChuckE will chime in on this post with that sweet rod of his.

Mike

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:50 am

I put my Pixy on an AiRRUS Ultra XL, UXLC681M, Medium Action, Medium Power rod. I can sling small baits effortlessly with it. The Pixy red goes very nice with the UXL red. 8-)
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:16 am

I did a search for the Pixy rod but came up empty. I looked on Plats site as well as BB, & Juns? Where can they be found?

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:22 am

Gyro,

You mentioned UL caster for worming and jigging...what lure weights will you be using with this setup?

Mike

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:01 am

KoYak wrote:I think ChuckE has a Mattman built custom UL caster. Hopefully, ChuckE will chime in on this post with that sweet rod of his.

Mike
http://www.dealtackler.com/T3Forum/viewtopic.php?t=8452 ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bartek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bartek » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:03 am

I`ve paired my Pixy with a custom rod built on St.Croix SCIV spinning blank 4S60LF. 6', 4-8lb, spiral wrapped with Recoil guides. It`s very light yet powerful. Those SCIV blanks has great dynamic, especially when built with light guides. I`m using it for trout fishing with 1/16-1/4 jigs, 1/8-1/4 jerkbaits and no.1 & 2 spinners.

You can also try Tenryu trout casting rods http://fishing.tenryu-magna.com/
They look very nice, and their price also is rather good for japanese high-end rod.
Attachments
sc4spiral.jpg
sc4spiral.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 4046 times
sc4spiral2.jpg
sc4spiral2.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 4046 times

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:12 am

I know...I know...I should use the search function ;)

Mike

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:52 am

Man...I gotta find a good rod builder in the DC/MD/VA area....anybody know one?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am

Scot,

With the wonders of the internet and USPS/UPS/FedEx shipping services, there's no real need for the custom builder to be in your same area. I've had several custom rods built for me by three or four different builders located all around the North American Continent. All spec's were discussed and arranged through email correspondence, and pictures were provided at each stage of the build as updates on progress.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"