MB Destroyer Bandersnatch : CarbonHead

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

MB Destroyer Bandersnatch : CarbonHead

Post by jejenkyns » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:43 am

Anyone have any experience with this rod? How do you like it? What's it great at?

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: MB Destroyer Bandersnatch

Post by PKN8 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:25 pm

Which Destroyer line are you looking at? 2016, Phase 3,Carbon Head? All three have the Bandersnatch model in them.
Always learning...

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:26 pm

I had one and somewhat regrettably, sold it. Excellent rod for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/buzzbaits, skipping jigs, t rigs. Was also a nice rod for squarebills and 3/4-1oz topwaters. I think this rod was replaced with the "blade" when the P5 rods came out

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:12 am

PKN8 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:25 pm
Which Destroyer line are you looking at? 2016, Phase 3,Carbon Head? All three have the Bandersnatch model in them.
Specifically the Carbonhead!

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:24 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:26 pm
I had one and somewhat regrettably, sold it. Excellent rod for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/buzzbaits, skipping jigs, t rigs. Was also a nice rod for squarebills and 3/4-1oz topwaters. I think this rod was replaced with the "blade" when the P5 rods came out
That sounds like a good fit for me. I'm debating between this rod and the p5 Super Destroyer, possibly even a Steez Target Sniper. I wish I could just walk into a store and handle these rods before making a decision.

Thanks for your input!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:46 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:24 am
That sounds like a good fit for me. I'm debating between this rod and the p5 Super Destroyer, possibly even a Steez Target Sniper. I wish I could just walk into a store and handle these rods before making a decision.

Thanks for your input!
The Carbon Head Bandersnatch is a very nice rod. Like EC wrote, it's a very versatile, do it all kind of MH moderate fast action type rod. Personally, I like the P5 Blade better than the CH Bandersnatch, and even a bit longer, the US P5 Daemos is a great stick. The P5 Super Destroyer is noticeably more powerful than either of those two, it excels at skipping docks for me. The Steez AGS 69MH Target Sniper is another fantastic rod that I use for similar applications. I find it falls somewhere between the Blade and the Super Destroyer in terms of power, but is every bit as sensitive, and again, very versatile. I throw buzz toads, skip docks, throw 1/2 oz buzz baits, full sized Vixen type walking baits, etc. I'm used to recommending rods for guys who don't have access to all these high end items. PM me anytime if I can be of further assistance!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MB Destroyer Bandersnatch : CarbonHead

Post by Hulkster » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Bandersnatch would make a great stripper name :lol:

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:45 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:46 am
jejenkyns wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:24 am

Thanks for your input!
The Carbon Head Bandersnatch is a very nice rod. Like EC wrote, it's a very versatile, do it all kind of MH moderate fast action type rod. Personally, I like the P5 Blade better than the CH Bandersnatch, and even a bit longer, the US P5 Daemos is a great stick. The P5 Super Destroyer is noticeably more powerful than either of those two, it excels at skipping docks for me. The Steez AGS 69MH Target Sniper is another fantastic rod that I use for similar applications. I find it falls somewhere between the Blade and the Super Destroyer in terms of power, but is every bit as sensitive, and again, very versatile. I throw buzz toads, skip docks, throw 1/2 oz buzz baits, full sized Vixen type walking baits, etc. I'm used to recommending rods for guys who don't have access to all these high end items. PM me anytime if I can be of further assistance!
Thanks for your response. I'd be interested in hearing how the actions differ on each rod. I can only judge by the deflection charts I've been able to find on the internet. The Bandersnatch looks very well suited to my needs, MHMF, looks like good backbone and I imagine being MF it has enough tip to cast just about anything in it's range accurately as it is a stiff JW worm.

The Blade I'm hesitant about because just about everyone I've talk to on forums has either disliked the rod or felt it was good but too soft for their needs, ie. much softer than they expected. The deflection charts I've seen definitely support this and it looks like a straight up moving bait rod to me. But again, I've never held one so I have no idea! In a way though, the deflection charts make it almost look like a shorter X-Bites, so yeah, I really have a hard time judging if this would be a good rod for me or not.

Many people have recommended me the Super Destroyer but I'm weary of the extra power, I've never owned a heavy rod and have never felt the need to. I worry that the extra power will impede my casting lures towards the lower end of it's rating. Ideally I'd be able to thrown a weightless senko on this rod and I doubt that would be possible with the SD? (cast not pitch). I've also heard people say that this rod can do anything the dark sleeper rod can do and more and that rod is an F4.5 so yeah, I have no idea!

Thanks!

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:17 pm

I’ve thrown weightless plastics on my Super Destroyer. It’s a joy to fish, nice tip, bends beautifully into the blank, I’m able to cast them just fine, although I prefer to use the rod more for skipping, pitching in close contact targets. It’s a crazy rod, I’ve even thrown jerkbaits on it in a pinch.

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:33 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:17 pm
I’ve thrown weightless plastics on my Super Destroyer. It’s a joy to fish, nice tip, bends beautifully into the blank, I’m able to cast them just fine, although I prefer to use the rod more for skipping, pitching in close contact targets. It’s a crazy rod, I’ve even thrown jerkbaits on it in a pinch.
Hey! Thanks so much for your response. I don't expect crazy distance, but was it still fairly accurate? I'm starting to think I'll just get this rod and see what happens. So many great reviews and comments about it. Thanks again!

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:40 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:33 pm
PotatoLake wrote:
Hey! Thanks so much for your response. I don't expect crazy distance, but was it still fairly accurate? I'm starting to think I'll just get this rod and see what happens. So many great reviews and comments about it. Thanks again!
Accuracy is no problem for me, if you get your reel dialed in correctly you can for sure target shoot cover with ease.

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:22 am

PotatoLake wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:40 am
jejenkyns wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:33 pm
PotatoLake wrote:
Accuracy is no problem for me, if you get your reel dialed in correctly you can for sure target shoot cover with ease.
wicked man, thanks!