Aldebaran 22 and Avail spool?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
braptor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Aldebaran 22 and Avail spool?

Post by braptor » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm

Anyone put an avail spool in the new Aldebaran? I'm honestly not that impressed with its casting out of the box, at least compared to the Gekkabijin air which is phenomenal. I'm hoping the avail spool makes the night/day difference it did in the curado, but I think the only mention of it is in a single youtube video.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aldebaran 22 and Avail spool?

Post by fffishing » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:40 am

I did,nice spool,but not a big different from stock. In my hands A22 cast better them Gekka))),so it's all depend of full set-up(rod-line),and kind of lures you used. Mostly I'm fishing small jig(0.6-1.5g) and tiny cranks and jerks .Oh,yea, try to clean spool bearing,maybe A22 not so bad :)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:37 pm

I have the Gekkabijin and two 22 Aldebarans with Avail spools.
I really like the Daiwa and the Shimano reel in stock form. The Avail spools help with the very light lures, but for my fishing with 3.5-7.0 gram lures stock spool does great.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:03 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:37 pm
I really like the Daiwa and the Shimano reel in stock form. The Avail spools help with the very light lures, but for my fishing with 3.5-7.0 gram lures stock spool does great.
There is ideal momentum of inertia of spool for certain combination. Luckily current premium BFS reels has such low inertia spools that in this lure weight range there isn't any advantage to shift to lighter spools in a distance casting wise. Pitching casts might be different story.

braptor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by braptor » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Maybe its just me, but i was trying to throw some 2 gram spoons on a couple different rods, both UL, one jdm one cdm, and both were giving me issues. whereas the gekkabijin on the same rod had no problem with them. right now i have it paired with a ray tarantula and have it dedicated to 3-4 gram spoons and its fine with them but nothing lighter.

maybe ill try cleaning out the bearings first.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:52 am

Sure ;)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:35 am

braptor wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 pm
Maybe its just me, but i was trying to throw some 2 gram spoons on a couple different rods, both UL, one jdm one cdm, and both were giving me issues. whereas the gekkabijin on the same rod had no problem with them. right now i have it paired with a ray tarantula and have it dedicated to 3-4 gram spoons and its fine with them but nothing lighter.

If that is the case, you may be trying to cast with too much force. The Gekkabijin definitely does better casting with a little more force than most other BFS reels.

The Aldebaran likes a little more gentle casting motion than the Gekkabijin. Don't worry about what the brake setting is at, just put it where you are getting the best casting experience.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

braptor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by braptor » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:24 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:35 am
braptor wrote:

If that is the case, you may be trying to cast with too much force. The Gekkabijin definitely does better casting with a little more force than most other BFS reels.

The Aldebaran likes a little more gentle casting motion than the Gekkabijin. Don't worry about what the brake setting is at, just put it where you are getting the best casting experience.
hrm interesting, ill give that a shot, thanks.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:03 am

braptor wrote:

That sounds risky. Have you been bit yet?

braptor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by braptor » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:19 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:03 am
braptor wrote:

lol not yet.

i actually hate spiders too, terrible name for a rod.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:04 pm

braptor wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:19 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:03 am
braptor wrote:

lol not yet.

i actually hate spiders too, terrible name for a rod.
Lol
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LureHolic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by LureHolic » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:18 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Excuse me, does Aldebaran22 need to add 8 magnets(4mm✖1mm) to the brakes when using the Avail spool'? I mean the spool with a depth of 2.2mm. Will it affect the stability of rotation without adding magnets?

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:57 pm

LureHolic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:18 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Excuse me, does Aldebaran22 need to add 8 magnets(4mm✖1mm) to the brakes when using the Avail spool'? I mean the spool with a depth of 2.2mm. Will it affect the stability of rotation without adding magnets?
Yes,needed extra magnets. Stability of rotation without magnets will be great :D ! Just not enough brakes for normal work :|

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:26 pm

fffishing wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:57 pm
LureHolic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:18 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Yes,needed extra magnets. Stability of rotation without magnets will be great :D ! Just not enough brakes for normal work :|
Yes, indeed.

I actually forgot and I had to open my reels. Now I recall trying without the extra magnets with poor success. You need the magnets.

LureHolic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by LureHolic » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:13 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to bother you after such a long time.