2023 Steez “Real Control” Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2023 Steez “Real Control” Rods

Post by 4g63power » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:30 am

Just want to clarify one thing, hvf/svf/compile-x are not blank material, those are daiwa terms for blank manufacturing process. Since they don't state what materials are used, it could be that same materials are being used for hvf to compile-x. Not saying it's a fact but it could.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:04 pm

4g63power wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:30 am
Just want to clarify one thing, hvf/svf/compile-x are not blank material, those are daiwa terms for blank manufacturing process. Since they don't state what materials are used, it could be that same materials are being used for hvf to compile-x. Not saying it's a fact but it could.
I agree with that. I certainly wasn't implying that raw materials were necessarily different. In any case, I did learn what I was looking for, and I'm not trying to debate material science, resins and carbon phases here. Peace)

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:39 am

Cranky wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:06 pm
I don’t think so regarding the S68MH.

I think that generally to the Japanese angler population the S68MH style spinning rods are primarily used for their cover shooting and/or hanging techniques. It’s a much more crisp and stouter spinning rod than most people are used to, it’s a decent step up from a Gloomis 803S or 852S. Whereas a 7’ to 7’6” ML style tipped spinning rod is a staple for big water fisheries, light baits, long casts, etc etc.
Wondering what the upper limit of this rod is in your mind, based on the comparison to the 852 above. Would you fish a 3/8oz jig on this rod? I’d never do it on the 852, and the RC S68MH is specced up to 3/4oz only, but it sounds like it might the power?

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:22 pm

There is no comparison between an 852 and the S68MH, it is significantly more powerful and yes it could easily fish a 3/8 jig, T-rig plastic, or hollow body frog in moderate to heavy cover.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:05 am

Cranky wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:22 pm
There is no comparison between an 852 and the S68MH, it is significantly more powerful and yes it could easily fish a 3/8 jig, T-rig plastic, or hollow body frog in moderate to heavy cover.
Thanks, this rod is now on my radar! I've been trying to balance out my casting and spinning setup to rest my arms (I fish casting rods right-handed and spinning rods left-handed, going back & forth helps with elbow issues). Having a high-quality spinning rod that can do 3/8oz jigs would be awesome. I just managed to snag up a brand new USDM Steez Utility Player Spin for $250 (best steal I've ever made); it has similar ratings, but I expect it to fish lighter than the S68MH.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 am

I've been fishing the Real Control S68MH for a few trips now, and while I like it, personally I'm not blown away. It feels like a textbook case of going too stiff and rigid on a supposedly super high-end rod, at the expense of enjoyment/castability/versatility. Supposedly the whole RC series is designed around how Kyoya Fujita likes to fish, and he has good reasons to want what he wants. But in my hands, the rod doesn't have enough tip (which makes it hard to cast), and doesn't offer a real perceived improvement in sensitivity over other Steez rods to justify that lack of tip. I've been comparing it head-to-head with the USDM Steez AGS "Utility Player Spin", fishing 3/8oz finesse jigs in 20-25 feet of water. The USDM Steez easily has 98% of the RC's sensitivity, but feels more versatile and easier to cast. Both rods are a ton of fun, both detect bottom and those deep-water bites well. I caught a few winter bass on both rods, and they control the fish equally well. Casting and overall feel when dragging bottom feels better to me on the USDM Steez, though.

That doesn't make the Real Control rod a slouch, it's a good-looking rod with a lot of virtues. But I wouldn't rush out to get one. In fact, I might prefer my Poison Ultima 6'10" (same advertised specs, but probably a bit lighter than the RC) over the S68MH, even though that's another case of going super stiff as the rod becomes (too?) high-end. Will need to run some side-by-side tests :)

Just another point of view, not meant to invalidate anything already posted. My preferences are probably just a bit different.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:21 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 am
I've been fishing the Real Control S68MH for a few trips now, and while I like it, personally I'm not blown away. It feels like a textbook case of going too stiff and rigid on a supposedly super high-end rod, at the expense of enjoyment/castability/versatility. Supposedly the whole RC series is designed around how Kyoya Fujita likes to fish, and he has good reasons to want what he wants. But in my hands, the rod doesn't have enough tip (which makes it hard to cast), and doesn't offer a real perceived improvement in sensitivity over other Steez rods to justify that lack of tip. I've been comparing it head-to-head with the USDM Steez AGS "Utility Player Spin", fishing 3/8oz finesse jigs in 20-25 feet of water. The USDM Steez easily has 98% of the RC's sensitivity, but feels more versatile and easier to cast. Both rods are a ton of fun, both detect bottom and those deep-water bites well. I caught a few winter bass on both rods, and they control the fish equally well. Casting and overall feel when dragging bottom feels better to me on the USDM Steez, though.

That doesn't make the Real Control rod a slouch, it's a good-looking rod with a lot of virtues. But I wouldn't rush out to get one. In fact, I might prefer my Poison Ultima 6'10" (same advertised specs, but probably a bit lighter than the RC) over the S68MH, even though that's another case of going super stiff as the rod becomes (too?) high-end. Will need to run some side-by-side tests :)

Just another point of view, not meant to invalidate anything already posted. My preferences are probably just a bit different.
That's pretty much how I feel about C73H too. It's still a very nice rod with good features but nothing that blows me away especially at price point compared to reg steez rods. Will i buy another c73h? Probably not. Will i buy a different model? May be. I'll probably rather pick up more reg steez rods.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:01 pm

4g63power wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:21 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 am

That's pretty much how I feel about C73H too. It's still a very nice rod with good features but nothing that blows me away especially at price point compared to reg steez rods. Will i buy another c73h? Probably not. Will i buy a different model? May be. I'll probably rather pick up more reg steez rods.
Oh, I should have added that the S68MH weighs exactly 3oz on my scale, it IS super lightweight for sure. But I think the Utility Player Spin is 3.4oz or something (and it's 7'1" instead of 6'8"), so the savings aren't giant. Dunno, I'll definitely keep fishing the RC rod, but it doesn't make me sell the Utility Player Spin. Will probably run straight fluoro on the RC and keep running braid-to-leader on the other, to have options and a grab & go rod for all conditions.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:37 pm

It’s a SUPER stiff and boardy spinning rod and definitely comes down to style and personal preference. If anyone is looking for softness or feather light tip flex don’t buy it. Definitely be aware of what you’re getting into before buying one. It’s entirely intended to be a JDM heavy cover shooting rod and to me it’s very very unique and I love the S68MH so much I got a backup! (Which I almost never do)

I’ve mostly been fishing 0.6# PE and it’s just nails on a chalk board sensitivity to me, very impressed.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:45 am

Cranky wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:37 pm
It’s a SUPER stiff and boardy spinning rod and definitely comes down to style and personal preference. If anyone is looking for softness or feather light tip flex don’t buy it. Definitely be aware of what you’re getting into before buying one. It’s entirely intended to be a JDM heavy cover shooting rod and to me it’s very very unique and I love the S68MH so much I got a backup! (Which I almost never do)

I’ve mostly been fishing 0.6# PE and it’s just nails on a chalk board sensitivity to me, very impressed.
Yeah, knowing this helps me figure out a better role for this rod, i.e. jigs in clear water fisheries with lots of laydowns. Was gonna put 10lbs fluoro on the reel, but now I'm reconsidering.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:06 pm

The RC 7'3" H looked interesting, especially with Fujita calling it the "maniac's rod", but it's long for me (kayak). I ended up looking at the 6'10" Medium Fast Casting 85g 3/16 - 3/4oz which Fujita mentions using for jerkbaits, poppers, squarebills, and some spinnerbaits (smaller I'm assuming). If anyone knows if/where Daiwa releases technique/application charts for their rods, please post.
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:45 pm

BassKat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:06 pm
The RC 7'3" H looked interesting, especially with Fujita calling it the "maniac's rod", but it's long for me (kayak). I ended up looking at the 6'10" Medium Fast Casting 85g 3/16 - 3/4oz which Fujita mentions using for jerkbaits, poppers, squarebills, and some spinnerbaits (smaller I'm assuming). If anyone knows if/where Daiwa releases technique/application charts for their rods, please post.
What I'm learning from previous experience with JDM Steez and RAID Japan, there are two distinct groups of anglers in Japan Bass Culture: Shore Anglers and Boat Anglers. Shore anglers will double and triple up applications/rod and boat anglers are like US tournament guys, a pitchin' rod, worming, jig, crankin', etc.

The Daiwa 21 Steez Casting SC C66ML-G LIGHTNING 66 is an example as is the Steez Harrier Shorty. Multi-use RAIDs include "The Joker", "The Baltoro", "The Baltoro II HEAT" and "The Frogman".

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:55 am

One more thing people should be aware of with these rods is that the S68MH has the tiniest AGS guides I’ve ever seen on a rod; waaayyy smaller in diameter than any USDM Steez or Legend Extreme. They’re kind of cool, but IMO there’s no way to feasibly run a connection knot through that guide train without worrying about those guides, casting distance and knot integrity. I’ve tried it twice and gone back to straight fluoro both times. I don’t mind straight fluoro on baitcasters, but on a spinning reel (using an Excense A 3000) it’s a bit of an adventure.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:28 am

Holy Hell! How Kyoya uses this rod, if the guides so small? As I recall he puts braid on his reels.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:05 pm

Cracker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:28 am
Holy Hell! How Kyoya uses this rod, if the guides so small? As I recall he puts braid on his reels.
I'll try to snap a picture, maybe others' experiences differ. I tried FG knots of 30lbs Maxcuatro -> 12lbs fluoro (for finesse jigs) and that knot worried me. It'll go though the guides and you can cast that setup, but there was quite a bit of banging going on. I do a Rizutto finish on that knot, maybe I should drop that part.