Did I make the right choice with my reel?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
raindance
Angler
Angler

Did I make the right choice with my reel?

Post by raindance » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:43 pm

I have been gone from the fishing scene for a while. I always wanted a BFS combo without going too much on the spending, so I got a Major Craft Benkei UL. For the reel, I was bombarded with so many choices I chose the Daiwa Alphas Air TW, waiting for it to arrive from Japan. Then I do more reading (never a good thing after buying) and it seems the 2022 Aldebaran BFS is the one to get. I feel like I am over thinking stuff. I do want to use this in freshwater and salt, so the Daiwa seemed like a good choice, and its less in price too.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Did I make the right choice with my reel?

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:39 pm

You are probably overthinking especially if it's your first combo...it will be a fantastic one.

Now to add to your grief... shoulda got da Gekkabijin.

Hehehe. :evil:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:27 pm

The Alphas is a fantastic reel, especially at the price they can be had for right now.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:13 am

raindance wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:43 pm
I have been gone from the fishing scene for a while. I always wanted a BFS combo without going too much on the spending, so I got a Major Craft Benkei UL. For the reel, I was bombarded with so many choices I chose the Daiwa Alphas Air TW, waiting for it to arrive from Japan. Then I do more reading (never a good thing after buying) and it seems the 2022 Aldebaran BFS is the one to get. I feel like I am over thinking stuff. I do want to use this in freshwater and salt, so the Daiwa seemed like a good choice, and its less in price too.
The Benkei UL is a BFS rod, or bass rod, so it will be stiffer than your average UL. Its most likely not capable of casting the teeny tiny trout magnet stuff (my Volkey BFS UL wasn't) to warrant an Alphas Air let alone an Aldebaran BFS. You'll be just fine with the Air. My only concern would be a lack of capacity with 15-20# braid and a 1/16 jig head with 3 inch plastic when making long casts. To really make use of the ultra lightest bait weight casting reels you need a little trout wand and the Majorcraft UL bass sticks are definitely not trout rods.