New Steez Air Tw?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Steez Air Tw?

Post by Cranky » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:54 am

You said you already have three CT’s, so an aftermarket spool is a simple option. If you’re starting from the basis of a new reel for BFS then of course a clearance Steez Air is cheaper. You also don’t need a Steez Air for dedicated BFS with many cheaper options out there but hey this is TT.

I think you answered your own question about why TW is selling the reel at the discount they are. Japan shows are Jan/Feb timeframe, if you can wait might want to keep an eye out.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:01 pm

Cranky wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:54 am
You said you already have three CT’s.
Correct. I have them on rigs with slightly heavier (7 to 8 grams) and casting distance is better there than what the Air gets.

Generally my purchase decisions are not driven by price but by what works best for the application. When I asked about the CT for BFS a year ago I didn’t know as much about the difference between them as I do now.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:03 pm

Cranky wrote:
Japan shows are Jan/Feb timeframe, if you can wait might want to keep an eye out.
I didn’t know that. Thanks.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:19 pm

Cranky wrote:
You also don’t need a Steez Air for dedicated BFS with many cheaper options out there but hey this is TT.
An issue is that the two baits I referenced are ones that I use often. If they are working I can fish them all day. In that scenario I want to be using a great reel.

I should probably keep using the Alphas Air on one of them and wait for the Japan shows.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:12 am

The Roro spool is legit for the Steez CT. Cast great and I will echo the price to performance ratio. You get two spools (including the versatile stock spool) and a clicking drag for less money (other than the TW sale).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:24 pm

zelmo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:44 am
Cranky wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:21 am

TW closing out the reel ($399 for a $619 retail reel) suggests to me that they’re trying to purge inventory to #1) Focus sales on the more popular CT (they did the same with the 700 models when the USDM CT 70 was coming out) and #2) There’s a future reel coming to replace it next winter (Japan expo releases). Either way with that discount level they want that reel GONE.
I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that price protection policy did not allow advertising a price below MSRP until the reel was discontinued.
MSRP doesn't apply to JDM reels. Tackle Warehouse bought them from overseas, not Diawa USA. You're gonna find better prices on JDM reels overseas typically, so I don't imagine they sold well at TW with the reels being $150 more expensive than ordering from Japan.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:52 am

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:24 pm

MSRP doesn't apply to JDM reels. Tackle Warehouse bought them from overseas, not Diawa USA. You're gonna find better prices on JDM reels overseas typically, so I don't imagine they sold well at TW with the reels being $150 more expensive than ordering from Japan.
That I didn't know that about MSRP. Thanks.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:54 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:12 am
The Roro spool is legit for the Steez CT. Cast great and I will echo the price to performance ratio. You get two spools (including the versatile stock spool) and a clicking drag for less money (other than the TW sale).
Ok. I'll look into that.