J-Dream spool?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: J-Dream spool?

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:00 am
If you're up for some tinkering, check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=77657&hilit=J+Dream+SV#p621373

I did this SV conversion to both of my J-Dream spools and notice a big difference in how they bomb baits. They're closer to an HLC in performance than their stock form but a lot more versatile than an HLC. Pitching to targets, target casting, or going for distance, this mod makes the spool a lot of fun. It just doesn't match the HLC for all out distance, but it isn't a huge difference.
That's some Kool SCHITE right thar!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:20 pm

If hyper long casts with heavier good casting baits is your goal then you've already got it with the hyper long cast spool. I would only use the Ray's as a power finesse and pitching/skipping spool.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:02 am

The J Dream is never a long cast spool. I have both the J dream and the IP and didn't quite like their stock spools.

It is good for casting light weight (for OG Zillion) which is able to cast down to 5g. Versatile when you only carry one reel to fish while the inductor mag brake is way too strong for long cast.

For long cast, ize HLC spool of course.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:03 am

The J Dream is never a long cast spool. I have both the J dream and the IP and didn't quite like their stock spools.

It is good for casting light weight (for OG Zillion) which is able to cast down to 5g. Versatile when you only carry one reel to fish while the inductor mag brake is way too strong for long cast.

For long cast, ize HLC spool of course.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:16 am

I finally got out wanting to conduct an experiment using a borrowed ize HLC spool. My experiment concluded exactly I had remembered. It's no contest as the ize HLC will bomb heavy baits like no other which explains why I wasn't getting the needed results with the J Dream spool.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:44 am

Resurrecting an older thread ....

I recently noticed the rotor position on both the J Dream and HLC spool appear to be similar. As such, would installing a stiff HLC spring on the J Dream spool result in the same/similar performance as the HLC spool?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:53 am

aqua71 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:44 am

I recently noticed the rotor position on both the J Dream and HLC spool appear to be similar. As such, would installing a stiff HLC spring on the J Dream spool result in the same/similar performance as the HLC spool?
Worth a shot to tinker with for sure. Is the thickness of the inductor cup the same between the HLC and J-Dream?

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:13 am

aqua71 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:44 am

No. From what I remember the I'ze HLC rotor sits much lower than the J-Dream. Hence the J-Dream has constant mag. brake even when the brake dial is set to 0~1.

Those Chinese aftermarket spools with SV/Air rotor worth to try. They are better than old school, ordinary Mag. Z. They cast almost as far as the HLC (85% maybe) with much better control (backlash free).

FYI, the casting king is the current Antares DC :lol: (I have yet to try the 2023 DC MD)

mbleming
Angler
Angler

Post by mbleming » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:39 am

Tackle Trap stocks something called Precision Aluminum Spaces for that will fit the MB IP series and allowing for use of 34mm spools...I'd love to try a different spool with this reel...once installed, does anyone know which 34mm spools will and won't work in the IP68? What to look out for?

Thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:17 am

I like mine as all around spools. I was out with the IP79 the other day casting a gilly 110 further than I felt comfortable setting the hook on 14# fluorocarbon and able to scroll the dial to max and skip under docks with ease. It's a nice junk fishing braking profile. It can kinda do anything. It's a deep spool with tons of capacity but light at 13ish grams. Weightless plastics including skipping or use with bigger baits up to 2+ oz aren't out of the question. I wouldn't think twice about putting one on a senko rod or a Perfect Pitch for 6 inch magdrafts and frogs or even on an XH. It's not the best finesse spool, or the best frog and braid long cast spool, or the best big bait spool or the best slipping spool out there but it does all those things adequately.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:22 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 pm
It is a Hyper Long Cast spool. The J Dream isn't going to cast as far as fast but I find my IP spools to be good enough for long casts but much better all around spools than the HLC. The TD Zillion HLC has a on/off braking braking profile meant for hard snapping bomb casts. I doesnt like tossing a senko at tree and won't even try and brake.

I like my IP spools with braid as jig and worm spools. With a bit of spool tension I can could skip with them but still out distance my old SV spools. I'm using them with flouro this year and so far they haven't wowed me. The loss of the ability to skip once full of a mountain of flouro was disappointing.
I can skip with fluorocarbon line again. The issue above was because I put 16# fluorocarbon on an IP68 spool in a PE special. Those weird bars on the PE special were in the way of the slinky coming off the spool and greatly slowing the spools causing line to pile up on the spool when it can't get out of it's own way. Note to self: no non braid on the PE special.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:12 pm

mbleming wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:39 am
Tackle Trap stocks something called Precision Aluminum Spaces for that will fit the MB IP series and allowing for use of 34mm spools...I'd love to try a different spool with this reel...once installed, does anyone know which 34mm spools will and won't work in the IP68? What to look out for?

Thanks!
All those Steez and 1000 platform 34mm spools work but it kinda defeat the purpose of fishing an OG 36mm Zillion (IP68).

Reels with bigger spool dia are for heavier baits and long cast, then you put a pair of spacers in to fish a smaller spool......

Just get another reel of the 34mm spool platform. :lol:

mbleming
Angler
Angler

Post by mbleming » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:00 pm

Thanks Kakaryan...you're probably right about defeating the purpose of fishing an OG Zillion. I guess I don't fish a ton of heavier baits and have had trouble casting some lighter stuff with the IP68...maybe I'll just relocate the IP to my small swimbait rod...thanks!

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:20 pm

mbleming wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:00 pm
Thanks Kakaryan...you're probably right about defeating the purpose of fishing an OG Zillion. I guess I don't fish a ton of heavier baits and have had trouble casting some lighter stuff with the IP68...maybe I'll just relocate the IP to my small swimbait rod...thanks!
Not sure how "lighter" you want to go but the IP/J Dream stock spool is good down to 5g. As discussed above in this thread the IP/JD spool is good for casting lighter stuff among the OG Zillion but not good enough for bombing heavy bait for long distance.

Ray's had released some shallow spools back then and Megabass had the IP Honeycomb. They are good for casting lighter stuffs and you don't need to use spacers to adpot 34mm spools.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:47 am

AMO also makes a shallower, light spool that should toss light stuff well.