LIN10

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

LIN10

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:56 am

I am the only one that fishes with these? I have had a Black Jungle for years with a 1010 and then 1016 spool in it for deep cranking but recently moved it to a Valkaryie MH for bladed jigs and spinnerbaits with the stock spool. What a nice casting reel for those baits. The stock spool felt overbraked for frogs or deep cranks but has been perfect for 14# fluoro and spinnerbaits and bladed jigs. It has just the right amount of control to keep the spool managed yet can still fire off some long casts. Just a super precise feeling reel too and smooth but not buttery smooth. Hard to explain. Very powerful and solid feeling reel with a faint gear mesh noise but no vibration. Mine has been like this and not deviated since day one. At max dial it can skip pretty well too even with a full spool of fluoro which I can't say for my IP reels that need braid to skip easily. The Black Jungle and Valkaryie is becoming my favorite combo. Can't put it down.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: LIN10

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:04 pm

Back when they were still produced and you could get them for a decent price in used but like new condition, i never really cared since i had the silver ryoga1016, which i fund to be better looking than all the Lin10's.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:24 pm

Origin is perhaps my most coveted of all. It's strictly a 1.5oz plus deep cranker for me, eats it up with ease. Only available in lefty though, lucky me. Zirconia Meteor a beauty, same for Black Jungle. They all see use, but not too much, as I intend to keep them as long as I walk this planet.
PEACE

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:08 am

The Ryoga 1016 is never a LIN. The LIN spool got "special tuning" which I tested to be the longest casting reel. (farther than Conquest DC, T3, Zillion HLC, Z2020....)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:12 am

kakaryan wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:08 am
The Ryoga 1016 is never a LIN. The LIN spool got "special tuning" which I tested to be the longest casting reel. (farther than Conquest DC, T3, Zillion HLC, Z2020....)
Interesting. I did testing with mine throwing terminator walking frogs in the heavier of the two sizes and my LIN10 Black Jungle with stock spool was no match for my HLC IP68 or Z200 on Long Cast. I actually sat on the spool for years because I preferred a 1010 or a particularly wild 1016 only it could tame near max dial. Both of those dumped line. The stock spool always felt overbraked at the end of the cast compared to the others.

That's not a bad thing though. There is a time and a place for that braking profile. Baits like bladed jigs and spinnerbaits and line like flouro or the combination of the two benefit from some extra braking. A super free braking profile and flouro with the wrong baits is misery. When I was putting together an enthusiast spinnerbait and chatterbait rig I went right for the LIN and stock spool. Very pleased with the results.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:10 am

Mine has bearings upgraded. But so do the other reels I tested. 3 classes of bait were tested 7g, 14g and 28g up, and the winner is the LIN.

The LIN I tested is the 25th LIN. I have the Black Jungle too but I never compared if their spools are different. Might do it later to see.

The Z2020 was a disappointment for me...didn't cast as far as I expected and ONLY work for heavy bait. It is the least favoured of the bunch.....

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:53 am

I use my LIN10 all the time. I have a SLP works 1010 spool in it which is just excellent for normal bass lures. I have it on a Megabass Javelin.

Also I have the LIN 10 stock spool in a Monoblock which makes for an excellent bigger bait reel with this spool.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:16 am

The LIN has been a source of a interesting finding in braking profiles and casting distance.

I use two spools in the reel. The stock spool and a particularly unruly 1016 that thinks its a 34mm HLC.

The wild 1016 absolutely demolishes the stock spool in distance with braid and good distance casting bait like a Terminator frog. Same can be said for weight transfer deep diving crankbakts.

What was interesting is that when throwing 3/4 oz BPS Grass Tracker crankbait that does not have a weight transfer and casts very poorly for a 3/4 oz bait that the stock spool easily out distanced the wild 1016 even with 14# flouro which is not a distance friendly line like the braid on the wild 1016.

On the 1016 I had to run the brakes very high to try and not get an overrun mid cast and it would over brake at the end. I also could never really bomb cast it because the bait wouldn't fly away and take the line so spinning up the spool on a hard bomb cast just made it blow up.

The stock spool handed the bait much better and got better distance. I changed over to a Norman DD22 that is a similar weight and body length to the Grass Tracker and the wild 1016 began to beat out the stock spool.

What was surprising was that if the 1016 is the better distance spool with baits conducive to long casts then it should at least match the distance of other spools when casting baits that aren't conducive to long casts but be finicky and difficult. It was finicky and difficult with that bait but it also lost out in distance to the stock spool. Lesson I learned: don't try and make an HLC or HLC like spool do things it doesn't want to do. It's just going to do it poorly. Certain baits and line types are better with certain braking profiles.