Megabass swimbait rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass swimbait rod?

Post by Datbasstho » Tue May 31, 2022 5:22 pm

Hey guys,

4” spark shads/hazedongs on tungsten heads and jig heads,

What MB rod do you guys recommend?

Was hoping to not add yet another rod to the boat but don’t know if what I have would be ideal.

I currently have:

XX Gen 2 Perfect pitch (too much rod I think)
Destroyer Daemos (mainly used for spinners)
P5 X-Bites (my go to bottom contact)
Destroyer Otomat (top water/small cranks)
P5 Oneten Stick (jerkbaits)

And the rest are definitely too light like Flyssa, Windbuster etc.

Was told Braillist and EMTF are great from a legit source.

Would love to get your opinions!

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass swimbait rod?

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am

Exposed hooks in open water? I can't see why a wind buster can't do that, try braid with it. Otherwise the Addermine would be a great choice if you can find one or wait for the P5 version.
Long live the Jerkbait

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:14 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am
Exposed hooks in open water? I can't see why a wind buster can't do that, try braid with it. Otherwise the Addermine would be a great choice if you can find one or wait for the P5 version.
Wouldn’t a 1/2 oz jig head and spark Shad be pushing it?
The wind buster is rated up to 5/8 oz so I’m worried that would be a little much for it.

What do you think?

Thanks for the advice!

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:19 pm

I’ve had pretty good success with a Orochi XX Gen 2 EMFT and DSR running braid to leader for 4” swims. I think the softer action allows you get get a deeper hook set on the fish.

The EMTF has plenty of power setting the hook on spotted bay bass with a 3.8” fat impact with 3/8oz Warbaits underspin in 20+ feet of water using braid to leader

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:03 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:19 pm
I’ve had pretty good success with a Orochi XX Gen 2 EMFT and DSR running braid to leader for 4” swims. I think the softer action allows you get get a deeper hook set on the fish.

The EMTF has plenty of power setting the hook on spotted bay bass with a 3.8” fat impact with 3/8oz Warbaits underspin in 20+ feet of water using braid to leader
Nice!
I only use braid to leader so that’s perfect.
I also like the longer rod length because I found myself losing fish on the shorter rods I was using.

Appreciate the help

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:17 pm

Ben at the hookup tackle just did a short video on skinny dippers and he said he was using a MB P5 Javelin. You may want to look into it. The old Javelin was amazing.

I prefer longer rods as well. For me EMFT and DSR are very close just depends on where I’m fishing. If Im just covering eel grass beds or in deeper water the EMFT is the way to go but shallower or target casting the DSR comes out.

BTW the EMFT is a killer 1/2oz dark sleeper rod. It really allows for deeper hook sets and stick them just like a mini 8” Huddleston.

It’s a shame people just pigeon hole the EMTF as a treble hook rod it’s capable of so much more. I preferred it to the Brailist. The Brailist lacked the slack line sensitivity and had too much squish at the tip.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Repost
Last edited by Datbasstho on Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:50 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:17 pm
Ben at the hookup tackle just did a short video on skinny dippers and he said he was using a MB P5 Javelin. You may want to look into it. The old Javelin was amazing.

I prefer longer rods as well. For me EMFT and DSR are very close just depends on where I’m fishing. If Im just covering eel grass beds or in deeper water the EMFT is the way to go but shallower or target casting the DSR comes out.

BTW the EMFT is a killer 1/2oz dark sleeper rod. It really allows for deeper hook sets and stick them just like a mini 8” Huddleston.

It’s a shame people just pigeon hole the EMTF as a treble hook rod it’s capable of so much more. I preferred it to the Brailist. The Brailist lacked the slack line sensitivity and had too much squish at the tip.
I’ll definitely check out the video from Ben.

And I’m looking for mainly deeper open water, not much structure fishing where I’ll be throwing these.

As for dark sleepers, I’ve been using the x-bites for the 3/8’s and 1/2 oz and then using my Perfect Pitch for the 3/4 oz ones and it’s awesome.

And thanks for pointing out the Braillist flaws.

Great breakdown thank you