Evergreen SFX Cougar Elite 7GT

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Evergreen SFX Cougar Elite 7GT

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Anyone using this particular stick? I can't quite make out some of the literature Evergreen uses on this model.
3/16 to 1 oz
8 - 18 lb
Are these ratings relatively accurate? Will it load and cast that 3/16 oz total weight? Is a full ounce pushing the limits a bit?
I get that it's supposed to be a long distance, versatile rod, but what exactly do they mean by "spineless"? I'm assuming that it has something to do with a quick recovery?
- Without blur, can transmit the energy of bending back to the lure, without letting it escape - 🤔
- The blanks do not swell at the moment of rushing - 🤷‍♂️
Delicate and dynamic! Well that certainly sounds fantastic!
Of course I'm going to ask about the sensitivity, as well as the general taper characteristics.
I'm primarily a custom kinda guy, but I've decided that I would like to add at least one Evergreen rod to the arsenal. I've narrowed it down to two rods. It will either be this one for versatility, or the Orion series "Degel" model for power finesse duties.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Evergreen SFX Cougar Elite 7GT

Post by domthewon » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:59 pm

In my opinion majority of my evergreen rods hit the lower end rating slightly more accurately than the higher end. To be safe I’d assume 1/4 -7/8 would be the sweet spot for the rod, but I’d bet it would cast 3/16 pretty well. This rod has no spine so bending in any direction it will bend back to the same neutral position no matter which way it’s bent. Roll casting, skipping, overhand, bombing casts will all produce a consistent feel and results. In some blanks there is a spine in the blank that they align with the top of the rod and place the guides along it for a consistent bend and flex when casting and fighting fish. A golf shaft is said to have a 'spine' if it is inconsistent in its stiffness when bending in different directions. Aligning all the shafts within a set so their spines point in the same direction (either forward or back) is called 'spining. Hands down I would go with the cougar over the degal. If you’re only planning on owning one EG rod might as well go for the top of the line. It’s literally the same blank as the RS except for the Eva grip and usually a few yen less. I’m extremely fond of the GT’s and their Eva and full grip. Sensitivity fells slightly better on the Eva than cork on the RS models to me. It has a more hollow thump to it and is very satisfying. Its also very comfortable, soft in the hand, but durable. I will probably be getting this rod shortly to round out the bottom end of my evergreen rods. I’m really glad they made a new GT model I use them a lot and they put a little smile on my face every time I pick one up. Hopefully this helps ya out some.
Dom

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 am

I was just shopping some inspirare's...namely the 6'-11"xmh (3/8-3oz). I'm noticing the Evergreen rod weights, which seem to be heavier than the competition at this level. For example, the aforementioned 7' M Cougar elite weighs in at 136g....19g more than my 7' H+ Glorious (1/2-2oz). It hasn't scared me off...I'm sure the extra weight is in the handle. What say you?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:23 am

domthewon wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:59 pm
In my opinion majority of my evergreen rods hit the lower end rating slightly more accurately than the higher end. To be safe I’d assume 1/4 -7/8 would be the sweet spot for the rod, but I’d bet it would cast 3/16 pretty well. This rod has no spine so bending in any direction it will bend back to the same neutral position no matter which way it’s bent. Roll casting, skipping, overhand, bombing casts will all produce a consistent feel and results. In some blanks there is a spine in the blank that they align with the top of the rod and place the guides along it for a consistent bend and flex when casting and fighting fish. A golf shaft is said to have a 'spine' if it is inconsistent in its stiffness when bending in different directions. Aligning all the shafts within a set so their spines point in the same direction (either forward or back) is called 'spining. Hands down I would go with the cougar over the degal. If you’re only planning on owning one EG rod might as well go for the top of the line. It’s literally the same blank as the RS except for the Eva grip and usually a few yen less. I’m extremely fond of the GT’s and their Eva and full grip. Sensitivity fells slightly better on the Eva than cork on the RS models to me. It has a more hollow thump to it and is very satisfying. Its also very comfortable, soft in the hand, but durable. I will probably be getting this rod shortly to round out the bottom end of my evergreen rods. I’m really glad they made a new GT model I use them a lot and they put a little smile on my face every time I pick one up. Hopefully this helps ya out some.
Dom
This is how I would describe the point blank blank in terms of spine
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 am
I was just shopping some inspirare's...namely the 6'-11"xmh (3/8-3oz). I'm noticing the Evergreen rod weights, which seem to be heavier than the competition at this level. For example, the aforementioned 7' M Cougar elite weighs in at 136g....19g more than my 7' H+ Glorious (1/2-2oz). It hasn't scared me off...I'm sure the extra weight is in the handle. What say you?
Possibly the extra weight is in the handle. The cougar SFX GT is 7’1 the handle is 1” longer than the RS model it’s also equipped with double footed guides. Evergreen rods are pretty thick walled blanks as it is compared to other new blanks out there from Daiwa and shimano. Out of the rods I own the Evergreens feel built to last, and look like new even though I fish them hard.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:36 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm
KP Duty wrote:
Possibly the extra weight is in the handle. The cougar SFX GT is 7’1 the handle is 1” longer than the RS model it’s also equipped with double footed guides. Evergreen rods are pretty thick walled blanks as it is compared to other new blanks out there from Daiwa and shimano. Out of the rods I own the Evergreens feel built to last, and look like new even though I fish them hard.

That’s what I was thinking. Built like tanks. Even the cork feels thicker, harder than similar current rods out there. My grand cobra rs feels indestructible and has held up remarkably well. It’s so well balanced, I had never considered it might be heavier than an average competitor.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:48 pm

domthewon wrote:
Dom
Aside from this spineless blank, which I'm not even sure is a real thing, the Orion series sounds to have an excellent blank as well. Still has the quad cloth wrap in the butt section. It doesn't have four different types of graphite material sectioned out throughout the blank, but it's made with T1100 G from butt to tip. From what I gather, the Orion series is built for extreme versatility, with a lot of room between upper and lower weight ratings. Some of them are actually kinda crazy, and likely not entirely accurate. I really like the stealth appearance of the Orion series. Prices are very close as well. Have you used one of the Orions?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:57 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:48 pm
domthewon wrote:
Dom
Aside from this spineless blank, which I'm not even sure is a real thing, the Orion series sounds to have an excellent blank as well. Still has the quad cloth wrap in the butt section. It doesn't have four different types of graphite material sectioned out throughout the blank, but it's made with T1100 G from butt to tip. From what I gather, the Orion series is built for extreme versatility, with a lot of room between upper and lower weight ratings. Some of them are actually kinda crazy, and likely not entirely accurate. I really like the stealth appearance of the Orion series. Prices are very close as well. Have you used one of the Orions?
I planned on picking up the Black rose, but went another direction. I like the stealth look of the Orion’s as well. They look very sleek. Personally I just know how good the RS, and GT Inspirare are, and it’s hard to deviate away from them for a lower classed series. Not that the Orion’s are inferior rods I’m sure they fish excellent, but for a little more money getting a GT or RS I know I will be satisfied with my purchase. I’d love to try one someday, but don’t see myself getting one unless it’s used, or a few hundred under retail. I hate to sound like a snob, but I own 6 of the keliedo Inspirare and they’re definitely some of my favorite rods I’ve ever fished especially the full Eva grip models. I hold them in very high regard. If the Degal fits your needs better than the Cougar I’d go for it. The thing is you don’t have the other GT/RS’s to compare it to. You can go out and just enjoy it without the same feeling I might have owning many of them and having high expectations. Hell...for all I know it might be just as good or better. Wish I could be more helpful.
Dom

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:02 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:36 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm
KP Duty wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. Built like tanks. Even the cork feels thicker, harder than similar current rods out there. My grand cobra rs feels indestructible and has held up remarkably well. It’s so well balanced, I had never considered it might be heavier than an average competitor.
I’m glad you’ve had similar experiences with yours as well. The balance makes up for the weight easily. I agree on the cork feeling more solid as well.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:17 am

Might it be the „indestructible“ feeling originates from the weight of the blank from the reel up? Most Inspirares I’ve handled so far (like super Cougar, stallion, super stallion) have that feel of weight to them. Right next to a let’s say Adrena, I have this feeling of inertia, there’s just more mass to get going. They felt slower, not as agile.
Translates to a feeling of sturdiness for me I guess.

(I feel / check this by swinging rods from left to right at medium pace.)

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:28 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:17 am
Might it be the „indestructible“ feeling originates from the weight of the blank from the reel up? Most Inspirares I’ve handled so far (like super Cougar, stallion, super stallion) have that feel of weight to them. Right next to a let’s say Adrena, I have this feeling of inertia, there’s just more mass to get going. They felt slower, not as agile.
Translates to a feeling of sturdiness for me I guess.

(I feel / check this by swinging rods from left to right at medium pace.)
Yes; I see your point. Some of that might be going on. Having owned a heavy power Adrena; however, I’m unsure I understand that comparison. I didn’t get that same “mass = sturdiness” translation with it.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 am

I handled the latest 610 medium Adrena just recently - for it‘s power/stiffness it felt like floating off my hand. Quite a lasting impression. The next day I played around with a friends Stallion and Super Cougar. Not floaty in the tip at all but that said feeling of rigidity

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:25 am

I've been eyeing the new Cougar Elite and would love to hear some feedback from anyone who gets one. Main thing holding me back is that I'm eager to find out more info on the Dire Wolf Wild 7 due later this year, and getting both rods really isn't in my budget right now.

I held out on getting any of the "real" Evergreens for quite a while, and now that I have a couple the bug has bit me good. If I lost all my combos and had to start over, I'd probably limit myself to 5-8 higher end setups of which several would definitely be Evergreen rods

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 am
I handled the latest 610 medium Adrena just recently - for it‘s power/stiffness it felt like floating off my hand. Quite a lasting impression. The next day I played around with a friends Stallion and Super Cougar. Not floaty in the tip at all but that said feeling of rigidity
The new generation Adrenas are quite impressive imo. Light with excellent sensitivity and feedback. Unfortunately, I sold both of mine. There is zero tact from the handle - much too slippery. I actually prefer that light feeling from a rod. Another example would be the Point Blank rod blanks. They have this sort of hollow feel that really increases the strength and longevity of vibration and sensation. Is this not something I'm going to experience with Evergreen? I'm familiar with this robust type of feel you guys are relating to the Evergreen sticks. This is how I would describe my Daiwa Heartland, but it's not necessarily what I prefer.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm
dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 am
The new generation Adrenas are quite impressive imo. Light with excellent sensitivity and feedback. Unfortunately, I sold both of mine. There is zero tact from the handle - much too slippery. I actually prefer that light feeling from a rod. Another example would be the Point Blank rod blanks. They have this sort of hollow feel that really increases the strength and longevity of vibration and sensation. Is this not something I'm going to experience with Evergreen? I'm familiar with this robust type of feel you guys are relating to the Evergreen sticks. This is how I would describe my Daiwa Heartland, but it's not necessarily what I prefer.
I only have experience with one kaleido inspirare rod, the grand cobra rs. It transmits ‘electric’ feeling vibrations as advertised via the really solid cork. The blank is really sensitive and that cork transmits vibration seemingly well. I’ve had my eye on the rapid gunner since it came out as that one is supposed to be one of the most electric of the bunch. It’s a wish list rod.

I also sold my adrena, but the difference in sensitivity between it and the grand cobra was noticeable when I had both; there is no subjectivity when comparing the feeling between the two in my opinion. The inspirare is superior despite the carbon hollow grip on the adrena. It does not make up.

I’ve not yet had a chance to fish a heartland, but another rod I’d compare the inspirare rods related to robustness are Tulala rods. They give a sense of confidence, like you could chop wood. I’d also say the grand cobra is not a burden to fish given said rigid feeling. It’s quite agile and responsive.