21 Levante Jerkbait Special or Orochi Black Elseil

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

21 Levante Jerkbait Special or Orochi Black Elseil

Post by Heddonfrog » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:05 am

Could use some direction here. I have my name on a pre-order Levante Jerkbait special but can also get my hands on a new Orochi Black Elseil. Is the Elseil considered a very good jerkbait rod? Like is the handle short enough to not just effectively work jerks but excel at it? I definitely like the styling better but won’t sacrifice performance for looks. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 21 Levante Jerkbait Special or Orochi Black Elseil

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:15 am

Orochi xXx BE2? I have that one and fully intend to buy a Jerkbait Special Lavante as a replacement. The handle is way too long on the BE2 to be a dedicated jerkbait rod but it can certainly pull double duty. The BE2 hande is kinda long. Longer than even my 72M Zodias. I use mine as a lighter powered all around M between my ML rods and Zodias 72M. It's very sensitive too. When the jerkbait bite it on it pulls duty with an alt bait but my go tos will be on a Jerkbait special Lavante. If you want dedicated go JBS. The BE2 is pretty good all arounder that can do jerkbaits if you don't mind a longer handle. If it just had a shorter handle like my Zodias I would even be considering replacing it as a jerkbait stick.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 am

If you're referring to the old Orochi X4 Black Esleil from 10 years ago, the handle length is 10.5 inches (I still have one ;) ). Otherwise the "Elseil" spec is what has more or less evolved into the Jerkbait or OneTen special, so the behavior of the overall rod should be similar.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:33 am

I havent used the JB Special but I have used the X4 Black Elseil, I personally think the handle and the rod are too long for my style but the action of the rod is perfect for jerkbaits. If you find it comfortable you should have no issues.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:01 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:15 am
Orochi xXx BE2? I have that one and fully intend to buy a Jerkbait Special Lavante as a replacement. The handle is way too long on the BE2 to be a dedicated jerkbait rod but it can certainly pull double duty. The BE2 hande is kinda long. Longer than even my 72M Zodias. I use mine as a lighter powered all around M between my ML rods and Zodias 72M. It's very sensitive too. When the jerkbait bite it on it pulls duty with an alt bait but my go tos will be on a Jerkbait special Lavante. If you want dedicated go JBS. The BE2 is pretty good all arounder that can do jerkbaits if you don't mind a longer handle. If it just had a shorter handle like my Zodias I would even be considering replacing it as a jerkbait stick.

Thank you, I’m guessing that the BE2 is the current Gen model? If so then yes, that’s the one I saw at The Hook Up and was comparing with the Levante Jerkbait Special. Handle length was a big concern. I’m happy to hear you feel the BE isn’t optimal for Jb’s because I stuck with my order for the JBS. Thanks again!

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:04 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:33 am
I havent used the JB Special but I have used the X4 Black Elseil, I personally think the handle and the rod are too long for my style but the action of the rod is perfect for jerkbaits. If you find it comfortable you should have no issues.
Thank you too. My primary Jerkbait rod is 6-5 which I feel is the perfect length for my height but I needed a longer JB rod for bombing casts on certain lakes. I stuck with the Jerk Bait Special

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 am

Cal wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 am
If you're referring to the old Orochi X4 Black Esleil from 10 years ago, the handle length is 10.5 inches (I still have one ;) ). Otherwise the "Elseil" spec is what has more or less evolved into the Jerkbait or OneTen special, so the behavior of the overall rod should be similar.
Thanks Cal, I meant the current Gen BE.Sorry I should have been clearer