Megabass P5 Super Destroyer handle ?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Megabass P5 Super Destroyer handle ?

Post by bassm1n » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:49 pm

We all know that in many fishing situations that wayer comes off the line and finds its way to the grip/handle and hand holding the rod. Some techniques are worse than others with tip up being the worse. Just recd my SD Awesome action and gorgeous rod. I tried splashing a little water the reel which made it to my hand and the 3D grip. Pretty slippery when wet. Tried washing it thinking maybe residue from build. Might be tad better but still slippery. Thinking of a madbull but it has same grip. Anyone have any actual on the water experience with this grip. Thanks

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass P5 Super Destroyer handle ?

Post by Winstondry » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:54 pm

I just received my SD today too and was wondering the same thing.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Good thing is your fingers under the reel seat get most of the water and the underside of reel seat is not the slippery material like on some MB rods. It is matte and not slippery at all even when wet so thats good.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:08 pm

It will be a bit slippery in hot weather, just something to learn to live with. I took mine out last summer in 100 degree heat and was on a good bite - the mixture of sweat, sunscreen and fish slime was a kinda deadly mixture that even frequent hand wiping didn't quite solve. Fishing gloves help. And that's been the only time it's been an issue so far, so it's not the normal.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:35 am

Looks cool but I wish it was raw and textured.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:50 am

I have and have had several Edge BW rods with carbon handles, I've never had any issues with any of them. I'm really hoping it'll be the same for the SD.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:10 am

I've had the super destroyer since they were released and in my experience water/sweat doesn't make it that slippery. On the other hand, if you put your hand in a bag of oily plastics, or apply sunscreen, then be sure to wipe your hands off thoroughly.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks for all the replies. I can certainly understand the oily plastics. Hopefully it will work out as I really want a Madbull too with the same handle. :D

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:14 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:10 am
I've had the super destroyer since they were released and in my experience water/sweat doesn't make it that slippery. On the other hand, if you put your hand in a bag of oily plastics, or apply sunscreen, then be sure to wipe your hands off thoroughly.
Same experience I have had with mine.I have had no major issues after many hours of use. I am loving mine! Sweet rod taper.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 am

I fished mine most of yesterday, alternating between the P5 X Bites pitching baits in brush. No issues with the carbon feeling slick or slippery at all, even with gloves on in the am.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:39 pm

I’ve had the rod since original release and never had an issue with the grip. But where I’m at, we don’t typically get temperatures of 100+ so that might be an issue where your located.

As for soft plastics, I’ve touched them many times and after a simple wipe on a microfibre towel, I’ve had zero issues.