Conquest DC or...?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Conquest DC or...?

Post by reason162 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:32 am

I want to try a high end DC reel, mainly for throwing jerkbaits and finesse spinnerbaits into the wind. Was going to pull the trigger on the Conquest DC 100 HG, but I'm a bit worried about the palming profile and weight.

Is there a new Met DC on the horizon? For pure casting ability (distance mainly), are there other DC reels I should be looking at?

Any input appreciated!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conquest DC or...?

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:34 am

Do you have any experience with round reels at all?

On the JDM side of Shimano, the Scorpion DC through to the Antares DC now all have the same iDC-5 braking system so any differences in distance will be minimal.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:02 am

Cal wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:34 am
Do you have any experience with round reels at all?
Only in saltwater, and nothing that comes close to palming while working a jerkbait.

How do iDC-5 compare to the DC system in the Curado DC in terms of distance? Thanks.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:46 am

The Curado has a i-DC-4. Not sure the differences. Some would say not as advanced, I'd say just different.

Distance with all the DC systems is relative, as with any braking system, to the ability of the caster. With all of them, if you set the DC brakes to minimum, you can get some bomb casts, but you have to regulate the spool, of course, with your thumb. At maximum braking force, your need to moderate the spool is minimal, but distance suffers.

Shimano's DC system is not magic. It's just a different method of approaching the same issue. With any system, if brakes are set to minimum or turned off, really good distance can be achieved.
Cal, Managing Editor

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks Cal.

I've been using the Zillion SV TW for jerkbaits, and the SV spool -- while not magical -- was close to brain-free operation casting into the wind from a seated kayak position. I'm looking for similar ease of casting into and across wind but with more distance...and I've always found the round reels classy.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 am

Not to dissuade you from a round reel, but there's a thing I've noticed about the Zillion SV TW reel's casting ability. You can back off the mag dial and use the same amount of cast force to achieve increased distance. Where you get in trouble with that reel (at low settings) is trying to force a cast with more effort in an attempt to gain more distance. I just back off the mag dial one click at a time and use the same fluid casting motion and amount of force. The reel surprised me with how low I can go on the magforce and still maintain control.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:33 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 am
Where you get in trouble with that reel (at low settings) is trying to force a cast with more effort in an attempt to gain more distance.
I find this is the case with a lot of reels these days. 👍
reason162 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:08 am
...and I've always found the round reels classy.
I'm a huge fan of round reels. The reason I asked if you had any experience before was to get a gauge on what you may or may not have tried size wise. Shimano's current generation of round reels features a reduced diameter on the palming side so the reels feel like a size smaller than traditional sizes. The current Conquest 100/101 DC palms like a 50 sized round reel. There could not be a more ideal round reel, ergonomically, to try than their current 100. If you don't like the shape, round reels aren't for you, but you won't know until you try ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:54 am

I love my Conquest 101HG DC. I have large hands and it fits great :) It may weigh more than the Antares 19 and Met 20 and many of the other reels that I also use but I honestly do not notice these very small differences while fishing. I have been fishing for almost 35 years - a heavy setup today is still lighter than a light setup was when I began ;)

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks guys, I ordered the 100HG last night, appreciate all the info!

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:10 pm

I think the flag ship from Shimano , Antares DC 2021 model must be released soon ...

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:02 am

Fran87 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:10 pm
I think the flag ship from Shimano , Antares DC 2021 model must be released soon ...
My math may well be totally incorrect, but isn't the Metanium DC due before the Antares DC?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 am

Got the 100 in and first day first cast blew up the reel in spectacular fashion, subsequently it casted like a dream. Read somewhere that DC needs to charge up with a couple of casts to work properly lol.

Have it matched with a PA 7'2m, palms beautifully and the feel/retrieve is super refined. Looking forward to more trips with this setup!